You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to figure out how to use Luminosity masking in AP using channels. I created dark light and medium channels etc but when I add a mask to a layer I can't find a way to attach the channel to the mask. I must be missing a trick somewhere.

I hasten to add that I am a blundering beginner at this photo editing.

I agree with MBd that learning the how and why of a process is, in general, better than being handed the answer. However, in the short term, I can offer a somewhat easier solution for you. I have posted three different sets of macros that you can download and then import into Affinity Photo. (To do this, use the "hamburger" menu at the top right of the Library panel.)

In order to make Luminosity Selections on a Pixel or Image layer:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27214-luminosity-masks/

In order to make Luminosity Masks on an Adjustment or Live Filter layer (and preview them and change them in real time):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/30523-luminosity-masks-for-adjustment-filter-layers/

And, to make a greyscale layer that lets you visualize your luminosity selection (the same way that option/alt-clicking on a mask does):

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/39420-luminosity-mask-visualization/

All of these techniques utilize the Blend Options panel (at the top of the Layers panel) and using Blend Options is definitely one of the places where Affinity Photo really shines (and really outshines Photoshop's Blend-If). Figuring out how to use Blend Options is worth the time and effort, since it offers all kinds of power. In the meantime, the macros above give you a more traditional set of Luminosity Masks in a format you might expect.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Another thing - if you've created additional channels (which, you should note, is not necessary if you go down the Blend Options road), you can Right Click on the spare channel and choose "Load to Pixel Selection" from the drop down menu. Once you have the selection, click on the Mask button at the bottom of the Layers panel.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17