You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

31 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Affinity Designer vector output to Apple Motion: I am all for it as well. Even if was an unofficial hack for the time being, an experimental export feature (and labeled as such) it would still be tremendously helpful.

If Affinity Designer had scripting, the problem would have been solved long ago, but I don’t think it will be. Therefore, it remains only to rely on the mercy of the developers: (

17 hours ago, kurdyumov said:

If Affinity Designer had scripting, the problem would have been solved long ago, but I don’t think it will be. Therefore, it remains only to rely on the mercy of the developers: (

It is what it is, isn’t it?

Meaning: The developers chose to not (yet) add scripting and I can easily imagine a few reasons why. Like being in total control of the quality of the shipping product since Affinity surely would be blamed for any third party plug-in failure. So I wouldn’t paint a picture in which we are “at the mercy of the developers”. I think the do like their customers a lot and try to give them what they need (like arrowheads). Even when the customers are nagging sometimes, like me.

13 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Like being in total control of the quality of the shipping product since Affinity surely would be blamed for any third party plug-in failure

Well, it's not like there aren't ways of protecting the app from that. Look at Workflow Extensions in Final Cut Pro X for example. There's no way (as opposed to e.g. Premiere Pro and their extensions mess) that a Workflow Extension can crash FCP, because they did it in an intelligent way. So if an extension fails, it's clearly the extension's i.e. the developer's fault.

But I also don't see scripts being a stability issue either way. The worst that could happen is you get worthless output.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, fde101 said:

Looks like Motion can import shapes from PDF files […] but is there some reason this would not work for you?

Hopefully, I think we all know we can import PDF on Motion, I bet it's even on the manual.
But as said by @Dudemeister, PDF is not Shapes. So on the countless list of "reasons this would not work for" us, let's start with path animation ;)

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would pay extra for this kind of feature, no problem guys. Take my money, please. The community needs this, the time is now!

I got all these vector brushes that are as good as raster brushes to me because of AD's limitation's, the app feels incomplete. for what the a modern designer (not static-image designers, full-fledged motion designers because it's 2020 guys) use vector programs for to my knowledge.

Pretty much AD is only vector inside of AD and outside of it you will have raster images :( that's a reel bummer, which is why I am in support of this feature.

Devs if you are listening, please consider it, we will pay extra.

For those of you guys looking for a solution there is none :( my solution is bite the bullet and make the curves in motion. Yeah it's not as good at all, and it makes AD not even needed in the workflow but that's what I do for now., until things get a bit more functional over here.

Edited by Design_Guy

Ok guys, this is for the noobies, for usable Vector images in Motion 5 you must do layers >> media >> uncheck fixed resolution. next go to the group layer and click the group tab and make sure fixed resolution is unchecked too.

no you can't edit the curves after but if you save the file you can just pop open AD and re-edit the project. 

This isn't the biggest deal if you understand how to work with the files... I still have to agree we NEED 100% vector compatibility, which to me means support for group export because for complex vectors they WILL be multi-layer not just single layer and ai file format and the fx not being rasterized as well. until that stuff changes the affinity revolution isn't happening in my humble opinion.

I bought all my affinity programs at full price and I'm proud to support them but maybe it would be wise for them to maybe open-source part of this app because the development is just not happening fast enough for me. please don't hate me for being an honest customer. Just my worthless 2cents

Edited by Design_Guy
solution for noobs

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 1:09 PM, Dudemeister said:

At least learning the absolute BASICS of Motion FIRST, especially before complaining for no reason, is recommendable, yes. :34_rolling_eyes:

Yeah I agree, the thread is about shape export to motion which currently there is no workaround for. only single vector shapes and they can be only brought in into motion one at at time. if you want them still vectorized anyway. it's a huge limitation, it's frustrating it cannot be solved at the moment.

Thats what makes working with these programs so annoying coming from the Adobe workflow. Honestly this makes me want to just pay for a year of CC at this point.

Maybe I am asking too much from a little 50 dollar app but I have no problem paying even twice as much for an upgrade if we could get importing of curves and groups into motion. Allowing scripting doesn't seem unreasonable at this point either if Affinity didn't feel like tinkering with it themselves. it's 2020 and Adobe is still the only way to do this seemingly simple workflow, it's mind-boggling to me but I guess it's reality. 

You basically need a time-machine to get an illustrator cs6 license and Adobe doesn't even want you using it anymore so Motionize is pretty much off the table for most people.