You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe you guys can talk to Apple, that Motion (and other programs) accept the .af file format!?

Right. Because since they have not even implemented support for a common TWENTY year old file format (AI), they'll just start with an uncommon TWO year old one first. Makes total sense.  <_<

I just bought Motion yesterday. Would love to have vector import from AD  :rolleyes:

I think it would be nice if Serif would add Motion XML shapes export to AD. Third party solutions or opening AD file format to Apple are not very probable so far.

I agree this would be a major step forward. Motion 5 is very popular these days, which we have witnessed during several events we organized last year. Being able to export vector shapes from Affinity into Shapes for Motion 5 would make these apps a killer combination that would raise a lot of intrest for Affinity in the mograph world. If you really would consider working on this, drop me an e-mail: ronnycourtens(at)mac(dot)com

Just Bought Final Cut Pro X and Motion to replace Adobe Premiere (And somewhat AfterEffects which is really hard to replace)

With Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and Affinity Designer to replace Ilustrator this could be a killler combination if they could communicate and export assets easily with Apple's Pro Video Products.

This would help a lot of Editors/ Video & Motion Graphic Artists to make the switch if they are un happy with the Adobe CC Subscription plan. Target a whole new segment of the Design Community..

P.D. As mentioned before if this comes on version 2.0 or 2.5 of Designer (or Photo)  it's understandable, just keep it in mind for future features.

This would be awesome - would definitely make me (and probably a lot of Motion users) jump from Illustratir to Affinity.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

Maybe it could happen... It looks like Apple is happy with their Affinity/Serif relationship.

Affinity Photo for iPad showcased in the Apple Developers conference and also I remember last year several Affinity Designer screenshots in their iMac product photos in the apple.com website...

A one year old product displayed prominently in Apple's website. Who would have thought so.... ?

Added: Now they are showing a Photoshop screenshot, ja! They must have have made somebody uncomfortable...

What about the opposite way?

Maybe you guys can talk to Apple, that Motion (and other programs) accept the .af file format!?

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Hello!  

I would love to see an Affinity export to Motion feature or an Affinity importer in Motion. There two products for their great price point and ease of use are meant for each other.  I would love to see a way to design my graphics and then easily switch over and begin to animate them.  

I look forward to this.  Have an amazing day!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

For assets that do not scale too much a solution that works just fine is to export them as layered PSDs. Motion should easily handle double or triple resolution assets. While I agree that vectors would be a more elegant approach, I've been successfully using exported layered PSDs and single PNGs in Motion for an animation project.

What I'm saying is: there is a path from Affinity to Motion right now :)

I totally see cases where having editable vectors would be nice. Been there, missed that, moved on. It's just that many posts sound as if there was no way to have Affinity assets in Motion. Which is not true, there is a way, and it is pretty straight forward, and it's totally fine for production. In many cases it doesn't matter at all if I import a vector or raster file. In the end, Motion will rasterize everything anyway.

You're clearly not getting it. Why do you suppose I and others are asking for this?? Hmmmm... maybe because we ALREADY KNOW of the alternatives and they're not sufficient??

:32_expressionless:

I've been in this business for 25+ years and know WHY I'm asking for something and why I need it. As I'm sure everyone else here does, too, thanks.

Give it a rest.

Dude, Your tone ... I already agreed with You, while pointing out an alternative. If my suggestion is not a thing for You that's fine, we agree to disagree. Maybe it is for someone else. This is a place for open discussion and You are not the one shutting people down. Nor am I. So let's keep it calm and friendly around here.

Using tools for (motion) design constantly involves work-arounds and tricks. And hearing how people solve problems is just a lot more interesting.

Well, treating others like moron noobies isn't exactly helpful. As if not everyone and their mother didn't already know that a RASTERIZED image is an option. That being the reason for THIS THREAD, because THAT IS NOT ENOUGH:34_rolling_eyes: Which part are you not getting?

Never mind that some PSD is never going to give me anywhere near the flexibility and quality that a LAYER VECTOR GRAPHIC will, and that at just a FRACTION of the size!

On 12/1/2018 at 6:02 AM, Rocketdrive said:

For assets that do not scale too much a solution that works just fine is to export them as layered PSDs. Motion should easily handle double or triple resolution assets. While I agree that vectors would be a more elegant approach, I've been successfully using exported layered PSDs and single PNGs in Motion for an animation project.

What I'm saying is: there is a path from Affinity to Motion right now :)

Thanks Rocketdrive.  

It's not perfect but you are right; this is the work around for now and useful in some cases. 

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com