You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have looked in search and tried to resolve problems with the inpainting brush. no matter what advice I try it simply does not work. I import a file from my photo folders, rasterize, try the brush only to have it act like it is working and there is no change to the image when its done. Am I missing something? I am working on a Windows 10 64 bit quad core system. Any help would be appreciated. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Bucster. :)

Try pressing Ctrl+D to make sure that there is no selection limiting the effects of the brush.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

​Thanks MEB. The opacity is set to 100%. The plugin simply does not work. I am trying to clean up a simple jpg. I'm sitting here wondering what else I might run into with the software.

In the screenshot you posted, the opacity in the brush context bar (the top bar, not the colour panel on the right) is set to 0%.  Have you done this intentionally?

If it still doesn't work when that's set to 100%, you could click on the 'Brushes' panel (with the inpainting brush selected) and make sure the brush is set to a 128px basic round brush, in case it has accidently been changed to some odd brush.

Alternatively, you could always try resetting Affinity Photo settings as per Post No.6 at the following link:

Inpainting stopped working

Your layer blending mode is also set to 'Screen' rather than 'Normal', but that won't make any difference to the inpainting brush tool in this case.

​Thanks MEB. The opacity is set to 100%. The plugin simply does not work. I am trying to clean up a simple jpg. I'm sitting here wondering what else I might run into with the software.

As Sima indicated, you have the opacity of the inpainting brush, in the brush context bar, set to 0%.

Third row of tools, second option from the left.

Set it to 100% and all should be well.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Bucster,

It can be really confusing (& the UI could be better about making it less so) but special brush tools (including the Inpainting Brush Tool, the Healing Brush Tool, & several others) don't respond to settings made in the Studio Color panel because they take their colors from other sources. This is more evident with the Selection Brush Tool, a brush that does not paint any color, but the logic is the same, if not very obvious.

It would probably help if the Color Studio panel just greyed out or something when one of these special brush tools is selected. As it is, the panel changes to alternate color & opacity settings shared by the special brushes, as if that really made a difference.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you all for the help. As in life it is the little things that make all the difference. I will be looking more intently for those as I progress with the software. I never even took notice of the brush context bar.......Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I´m using the 10 Days Testversion that I´ve downloades yesterday.

I took one picture, changed the colour-settings, replaced the sky (as described in the tutorial window) and added some text. This all worked fine. I´m thinking about buying the programm.

At the end I wanted to remove an Item using the "inpainting" (=Restaurieren) brusch.

I can select it, but ist doen´t mark the selected area red and doesn´t do anything.

"Deckkraft" is set to 100%

I´ve tried "ctrl-D", tried a restart with holding down ctrl and selecting "clear" (löschen).

But no matter which layer I select, the inpainting-brusch doesn´t do anything.

What can I do?

(The picture has a Size of DIN A0 and the file is about 100Mb large, should I upload it?)

Regards

Mike

• Staff

Hi mike13,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the correct layer selected (not a mask or adjustment layer), that it's a (Pixel) layer - you can check the type of layer looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel ) and that the Ipainting Brush Tool Opacity in the context toolbar is not set to 0%.

* If the layer is identified as an (Image) layer type, right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as usual. Image layers retiain the original image data and can be transformed (scaled rotated skewed etc) without losing quality, however they can't be manipulated at a pixel level as required by the Inpainting Brush Tool.

Dear Staff ,

"right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type" brought the solution.

Thank you very much.

I couldn´t understand why it didn´t work, since when I simply opened a JPG-File I was immediately able to perform inpainting. (It then directly is a pixel-Layer!)
But since I placed this image on an existing projekt, it became an Image-Layer.

With the conversion everything worked again.

Thanks again

Mike

Hi Mike & welcome to the forums!

The image layer vs. pixel layer thing trips up so many users that I think it would be helpful if the app displayed an advisory notice when users tried to use one of the tools that only works on pixel layers on an image layer, similar to how the Healing Brush & Clone Brush tools pop up one if you try to use them without first option-clicking to select a source.

Anybody else think this is worth submitting as a feature request?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There have been discussions on here previously about the inconsistency in the way layer rasterization is handled (or not!) depending upon the tool chosen. Some tools trigger a warning, some tools invoke the Assistant to rasterize the layer automatically, and others (including the Inpainting Brush Tool) do nothing at all.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Mike & welcome to the forums!

The image layer vs. pixel layer thing trips up so many users that I think it would be helpful if the app displayed an advisory notice when users tried to use one of the tools that only works on pixel layers on an image layer, similar to how the Healing Brush & Clone Brush tools pop up one if you try to use them without first option-clicking to select a source.

Anybody else think this is worth submitting as a feature request?

Yes! It drives me crazy. I keep forgetting to rasterise when I first import. There are a whole heap of instances where AP could pop up error/advisory messages and doesn't. It's one of its weak spots, especially while you are first getting to grips with it.