You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm a freelance concept artist, matte-painter and illustrator and have been living with an orphaned copy of Photoshop CS5 that I purchased many years ago.

As my business depends heavily upon this software and I do not, under any circumstances wish to migrate to Adobe's Creative Cloud subscription service (a preference to purchase and own outright, the fact that a subscription model is costlier over time and Adobe's monopolistic price gouging practices) I've been seeking an alternative. Affinity Photo may just be that replacement which I can run concurrently with CS5 and over time, replace it altogether. Also, the market is in desperate need of comparable and competitive alternatives to Adobe's suite.  

I'm very impressed with what I've experienced thus far after downloading the trial and with a new computer system (Win 10 Pro) arriving next week I intend to purchase it and most likely Designer.

There are a few things that I would like to see that would help with workflow tremendously. Bear with me as I'm still coming to grips with Affinity Photo.

I would like to see it possible for the palettes to be collapsible into docked icons as is possible with Photoshop.

I would like to see the right mouse button have contextual functionality depending on the tool selected - for example, the possibility to 'Deselect' or Invert Selection' et al when you right click on a selection. it feels constraining and retards workflow not be have a contextual right mouse button option

I would like to see it possible to make the horizontal toolbar more customisable - adding a drop-down brush editing palette for example.

That's about it for now. However, i will be purchasing and joining the Affinity family. Thanks for creating such a quality product that is getting very close to rivalling Photoshop, and for offering it at such as competitive price.

.Grant

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

• Staff

Hi Supermundane, 

I'm glad to hear you have been enjoying using the Affinity apps and are planning on purchasing in the future :)

Unfortunately all of your suggestions aren't possible within the app at the moment however I think they would make great additions to the app. I will move this thread to the Feature Requests section as our developers monitor that section for ideas for future updates!

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

Thanks for your response and apologies if I posted in the wrong section. I appreciate that there are development priorities or restrictions (I presume because the Win version is a port from the iOS) and the lack of these features is in no way a blocker to using your products productively. These would merely be 'nice things to have', and would ease the transition from Photoshop and Illustrator for others wishing to make the switch as I do.

The context-based right mouse button would perhaps be the one of the three I'd most like to see implemented, if possible.

Thanks again. Looking forward to putting Affinity Photo seriously through its paces when I obtain my new system.

.Grant

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro