You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was making a icon to use as a replacement for the one automatically displayed on the desktop when I plug in my kindle paperwhite and it turned out quite well. So, I thought I'd make it even more accurate and make a marketing-type poster.

All vector and all done in Affinity Designer, including all the text, lines and icons on the display.

It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, mainly because its really a lot of rounded rectangle shapes, but that's what makes vector art (and AD) great :)

I'm hoping to make a more 3D-ish one that appears to be rotated around 20~30 degrees around the y-axis sometime, but I'm happy with this "straight on" one, too.

I've also include the icon as a png if anyone would like to use it.

Hope you like it!

edit: re-uploaded the png with a few minor fixes for some strokes getting too big after resizing the layer

post-2981-0-65995500-1420727913_thumb.jpg

post-2981-0-02748900-1420791197_thumb.png

Thanks!

What I really liked was that I could create an image that was actually big enough to draw it with the actual dimensions (its about 11.5 x 17cm in real life). Try that with a pixel image and you'd have a really massive file size!

This was really helpful as I just had to whip out my ruler and measure things for size and placement resulting in a very accurate result :)

• Staff

@pmeinertz

I believe Garytagreg used the noise feature in Affinity Designer.

Go to the Color panel on the right of the interface and below the color wheel there's a small circle (below the word Opacity): click on it to toggle to the Noise slider.

You can also access the Noise slider through the context toolbar on the Color tab for both Fill and Stoke buttons.

Thanks everyone! :)

@pmeinertz

Yes, I used the noise feature that MEB mentioned.

For more specific details about the screen:

There's a lower layer for the base colour of the screen at the bottom;

then another layer with the e-book text and icons etc.;

then there's a top layer for the surface of the screen with a slight gradient from the top-left to the bottom-right (for lighting) that has 100% noise set to the 2 colours. I then give that top layer a very small amount of gaussian blur (0.1px) to smooth out the noise a bit to make it a bit more natural looking and then I reduce the layer's opacity to 25%. This has the effect of slightly obscuring the "e-ink" so that it's not perfectly black which gives it a nice authentic feel.