You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I create the hole so that the green will show where the grey is?

File attached.

Test 5.afdesign

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Create a copy of the grey ellipse, scale it down and put it above the bigger one. Then select both, press alt and click on the subtract button (boolean operations) on the context toolbar. This will create a compound object (see layers panel). You can expand it to select the smaller ellipse and adjust it independently if needed.

See attached file. This is what happens when I follow your instructions. What am I doing wrong?

Test 5.afdesign

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

Yes, exactly. That's what i described. But seems i misunderstood what you're trying to achieve...

Maybe by hole you meant a clipping mask? If that's the case, on your original file, just drag the green square over the grey ellipse object in the layers panel.

Still not sure if is this you're after... It's easier to simply change the color of the ellipse and delete the green square.

See attached file. This is what happens when I follow your instructions. What am I doing wrong?

Create a copy of the grey ellipse, scale it down and put it above the bigger one. Then select both, press alt and click on the subtract button (boolean operations) on the context toolbar. This will create a compound object (see layers panel). You can expand it to select the smaller ellipse and adjust it independently if needed.

I've cracked it MEB and found an easier way.

I selected the grey ellipse and the blue background and used subtraction. Job done. See attached file.

Test 5.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Thanks MEB. Sorry about the confusion and the blue square!

I now know exactly how it works and I've been using it to great effect. When I've finished the drawing I will post it on the forum's gallery as my first Affinity project.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0