You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

I use Affinity photo since a year. I like the look and feel of this app. I read on this forum(2015) that there is coming a DAM version. Is there more information about that version. Since I cannot update Aperture anymore I'm missing several functions like brushes, geometrie functions and a lot more like there are in Lightroom.

Thanks

Thanks for your answer

It is a pity that you still not have a DAM version. In press photography it is a must to have a dam version with iptc and development tools like Aperture. So Ivdo not like it but I have to switch to Adobe Lightroom. The other DAM versions on the market do still not have the professional possibilities of Aperture. 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for a replacement for Adobe Bridge, not for view/organizing but for adding/editing metadata for illustrations and photos before uploading to stock sites. 

We don't have that ability built in to AD or AP right now do we? Could we?

• Staff

Hi gerritboer,

The Affinity line of products was launched just three years ago and it's being written from scratch. We already have Designer and Photo on both Mac and Windows platforms and now also on the iOS (Photo only). It's not possible to get more done with the dev resources and time we have available (we have a relatively small team). Bear with us while we work to get there.

Hi befehr,

No, it's not possible to edit/add metadata in the current version other than the description field in the Affinity Photo EXIF panel.

I am looking for a replacement for Adobe Bridge, not for view/organizing but for adding/editing metadata for illustrations and photos before uploading to stock sites. 

We don't have that ability built in to AD or AP right now do we? Could we?

befehr, here is a link to a reviewer for photo managers who comments on their ability for metadata. Somewhat talky but you can wade/scroll through it for detail. :D

https://www.scanyourentirelife.com/use-of-these-photo-managers-if-care-about-your-photo-collection/

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

befehr, here is a link to a reviewer for photo managers who comments on their ability for metadata. Somewhat talky but you can wade/scroll through it for detail. :D

https://www.scanyourentirelife.com/use-of-these-photo-managers-if-care-about-your-photo-collection/

Thanks jer, of course these won't support Affinity Designer or Photo files.

I'm not clear on this issue. Am I right that Lightroom creates a catalogue, and then anything searched and chosen is opened in Photoshop? I'm not a photographer, tho' I have about 10K files of my own amateur photos, and about 100K of various images. I've been working w. the trial version of NeoFinder, which also catalogues music, movies, text, and so forth. Allows batch commenting, searching on IPTC and EXIF data, etc. When I click on catalogue selections for .jpg files, they open in the default viewer, Preview, and I have not yet found a way to alter that. But the catalogue of .afdesign files I made automatically launches Designer.

So I have to wonder how hard it would be to find other DAM programs in the interim.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I'm not clear on this issue. Am I right that Lightroom creates a catalogue, and then anything searched and chosen is opened in Photoshop?

No, LR can edit photos quite well by itself. Advanced pixel editing takes Photoshop.

LR is meant for cataloguing and developing RAW photos, (though it can handle JPEG also of course).

If NeoFinder does not allow you to assign a editor tool for JPEG, you can of course change default editor to AP in Finder preferences. (But then all your JPEG default to AP, which may not be appropriate. Of course you can drag&drop files and folders to app icon to get around this.)

• 4 months later...

Please hurry up with a competitor of Lightroom! I'm really feed up with Adobe products. They're slow, bad supported and Adobe really likes to press more and more money out of it's users by forcing them now to use their subscription and cloud... :(

7 minutes ago, owenr said:

The Affinity DAM has been postponed indefinitely.

I know that it's not being worked on currently (as stated in a tweet from Serif) but when did they say it was postponed indefinitely?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10