You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ogma

Just trying out AD...

Have been drawing maps for twenty years in FreeHand. As now on OSX 10, no FreeHand :( .

Can't get on with Illustrator and hate the idea of paying Adobe every month so thought I would have a play.

So attached my first quick draft. Really like AD, very quick to pick up. Somethings that did not jump out at me, a quick look on YouTube and job done.

So far, only a couple of items missing that are essential to allow me to migrate fully:

1. Text on a path. Essential for road names going around a curve especially if inside the text is inside the path.
  2. Dotted lines - wanted the footpaths to be dotted but no joy.

Otherwise looking good and reading the forums, these items are on the roadmap - thanks AD

Couple of things notice that are an issue but not deal breakers (unless I missed it):

1. Only single page documents allowed. 
  2. Fonts, quite a few of my fonts such as Zapf Dingbats, WebDings and FontAwesome not rendering - just getting square text boxes.

Anyway - looking good Serif 

Suitably impressed

post-4348-0-64456300-1420674325_thumb.png

• Staff

Hey, that looks great Ogma! :)  If you wanted to give the latest beta a whirl, you should find that there's dashed lines now :) The other things will come in time - we're typing as quickly as we can and we're obviously very motivated! :)

Thanks,

Matt

I am so much missing Freehand. It was perfect, but now with AD it looks like we can be ahppy again.

Your map looks good. It would be a pain to do that i Illustartor. I never really got used to Illustrators way of making and adjusting curves.

AD's way is very intuitive!

Ogma,

Very nice nice. You could make your own stroke brush to make the dotted line your looking for. You can also use this technique to make train tracks or any other repeat path item.

Checkout this video

Fonts, quite a few of my fonts such as Zapf Dingbats, WebDings and FontAwesome not rendering - just getting square text boxes.

For which characters? Zapf Dingbats does not have A-Z, a-z or 0-9, for example. Does it render the first arrow symbol in Special Characters, U+2192, '→' ?

Some apps switch to a different font for unsupported characters. We don't do that yet.

For which characters? Zapf Dingbats does not have A-Z, a-z or 0-9, for example. Does it render the first arrow symbol in Special Characters, U+2192, '→' ?

Some apps switch to a different font for unsupported characters. We don't do that yet.

Hi Dave

AD is on my Mac at home - will check tonight - thx

Nice video, Ronnie! :D

Thanks Matt!

Thanks Ronnie

This will help a great deal - top vid - cheers

O

You are are welcome. I thought it would.  Thanks! :) 

Hi Dave

Looks like my issue my end, even LibreOffice struggling with them.  Thanks anyway