NobleValerian

Update to Photo 1.5.2 and Designer 1.5.3

Very cool, thank you! I simply checked latest betas to see whats new but maybe theres something more. One thing is a head-scratcher - wacom tablet support in Photo was reversed to older version and in Designer was completely re-written? I guess I will have to wait for an answer till tomorrow.

The tablet input was "improved/tweaked", then rewritten, then that re-write reverted back to to the "improved/tweaked" version for BOTH Photo and Designer windows releases.

They are the same codebase with the same release date, so will act the same in this respect.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

I had the same problem with these stable releases that I already reported on the resp. betas: the update-process first removed the old files, then tried to install and failed with the error of not being able to write to the program folders. It then says "setup failed, your system was not changed" but the old version is gone. The folder is not accessible any more. What I did now was install in a different new folder - settings from the previous versions where intact. After that I had to use an unlocker tool to delete the old folders. Something was messed up with the file permissions… 

Beginning to see some reports of the new AP1.5.2 having some issues.  Why can't 1.5.2 be installed and run independently until the release passes the user litmus test.  That is before uninstalling 1.5.1 and losing a good working edition?  I have downloaded the new version but am timid about committing to the unknown.

Beginning to see some reports of the new AP1.5.2 having some issues.  Why can't 1.5.2 be installed and run independently until the release passes the user litmus test.  That is before uninstalling 1.5.1 and losing a good working edition?  I have downloaded the new version but am timid about committing to the unknown.

No other software I heard of is acting the way you want Affinity to act. You cant install Photoshop update next to old version either. If youre affraid/dont want to use new version just yet - how about simply not installing it till you are comfortable to do it? You want whole company change behavior of software for everybody because you are.. timid to install new version? You cant be serious.

Here's mind blowing idea - keep old installers.

It is clear that an update will replace the old version. It was a problem though in my case that the installer was not able to roll back to the existing version after failing, though claiming that no changes where made to the system. Usually at this point there would be a real roll back. It may well be that this is a very singular problem in my system as I had to switch the whole system to a new admin account after the windows "creators update" messed up my account making it inaccessible. I was pretty sure though I updated Affinity after that at least once already. Also the folders where accessible before the affinity updates and became inaccessible during the update suggesting the installer did sth. to the folders' permissions. 

AP: the install went OK, but whenever I open AP, I get a message 'There was an error loading your settings. Some settings may be incorrect.' Other than that, it seems to work! So far, I can't see any settings that have changed or been lost.

AP: the install went OK, but whenever I open AP, I get a message 'There was an error loading your settings. Some settings may be incorrect.' Other than that, it seems to work! So far, I can't see any settings that have changed or been lost.

I saw that the first time, it looked like a couple panels were opened that I didn't need, but it only happened the first time I opened Photo.

I got the same message the second ti,e I opened AP (after restarting my laptop), but I've just opened it again and didn't get it. It all seems to be OK now.

No other software I heard of is acting the way you want Affinity to act. You cant install Photoshop update next to old version either. If youre affraid/dont want to use new version just yet - how about simply not installing it till you are comfortable to do it? You want whole company change behavior of software for everybody because you are.. timid to install new version? You cant be serious.

Here's mind blowing idea - keep old installers.

Think ON1.  When installing upgraded ON1 software, you are presented with an option to overwrite or keep previous version intact.  I think that is a good idea.  I certainly don't expect Serif to make changes because I mentioned a failsafe, (is there one?), I am just so pleased with AP for several reasons, I would bemoan losing it.  I won't be installing so quickly as there is long history of computer performance that has degraded after an upgrade, beta testing notwithstanding.  (and I don't have the Creator's edition of Windows yet).  I am anxious to try, but alas, conservative. :)  For now, my compliments to Serif and keep on tracking.