You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 1)

Hi,

My Beta 1.6 doesn't work. It opens up, gives me the starter screen but that's it. I cannot opern Preferences or load a photo. I've removed and reinstalled it, including downloading a new version, but it persits with this problem.

Hi pwop, I'd recommend you start your own thread for this, it'll get lost in here.

Windows or Apple OS?

Regards

What is wrong the the Croo tool? It is different compared with photoshop. Buy It Just works fine to me

The only thing I'm finding with the crop tool is that you have to double click on the area to confirm the crop. (Unless there is another way to confirm it that I'm unaware of.) I worry a bit that I am going to move it slightly by double clicking on it as opposed to hitting a key to confirm. No biggie I suppose. Otherwise I like it.

The only thing I'm finding with the crop tool is that you have to double click on the area to confirm the crop. (Unless there is another way to confirm it that I'm unaware of.) I worry a bit that I am going to move it slightly by double clicking on it as opposed to hitting a key to confirm. No biggie I suppose. Otherwise I like it.

??? The Crop Tool in the Mac beta has a big blue "Apply" button in the context toolbar, the same as it does in the current retail version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

There's a dropdown list on the Context toolbar, allowing you to choose 'Original Ratio', '1:1' or any of various other options, but unfortunately it resets to the default 'Unconstrained' mode every time you reselect the Crop Tool. :(

if selection can be controlled proportionally, or from center or origin using "KEYBOARD" by holding "CMD, ALT, SHIFT OR CONTROL" please also enable crop tool with these keyboard shortcuts. Thankyou

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

I am unable to run beta 1.6 due to "you must have a retail version installed .......etc well I have ver 1.5.2. installed, paid for with hard earned cash but, beta 1.6 will not open?

Harrythespida

Hi Harrythespida, 

please make sure that the Beta version and the App Store version you purchased are both in the Applications folder on your Mac. As soon as you put one of them in a subfolder or both in different folders or both in folders different from the Applications folder, the Beta version won’t be able to recognize that you already installed the App Store version.

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

please make sure that the Beta version and the App Store version you purchased are both in the Applications folder on your Mac. As soon as you put one of them in a subfolder or both in different folders or both in folders different from the Applications folder, the Beta version won’t be able to recognize that you already installed the App Store version.

It is usually not advisable to move any app bought through the Mac App Store out of the root level Applications folder or into a subfolder.

If you want to organize apps in some way, like to group several of them into a folder for easy access, you can use aliases, tags & "smart folders" (saved searches), etc. for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The Cropping selection/choice has been and is from my perspective aligned with the ppi/dpi question the longest running of requested changes that appear on this and other forum posts.

I have no axe to grind on either subject being sanguine about both, however, given that so many contributors both new and longterm bring them up so regularly (my impression), would it not be seen as a major positive response from Serif to just change them to a more universally recognised methodology?

Terminology has always been the enemy of comprehension and usability in AP and I view this 'beta' as an opportunity for clarity and simplicity to come to the fore.

Regards.   Sharkey

NB:- my opinions are just that.

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

On 18.5.2017 at 3:08 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is the first beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

photo beta with metal support please?

Since I’m new here, I don’t know my way around, I didn’t want to start a thread for this, unless I have to. I’m using a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9”. I see that it seems that questions about iOS and Mac versions are mixed in the threads, so...

My three questions:

Is there a thread that just addresses the iOS version?

A quick question of whether the name for the app in iOS could be changed for the icon. Calling it “Photo” isn’t helpful. Why can’t it be called Affinity? That’s it’s name, correct?

I can’t seem to get the Apple Pencil working properly. Sometimes it recognizes it, but just as a line tool. Sometimes it doesn’t seem to recognize it at all. Using my finger is fine much of the time, but really... 

• Staff

Hi melgross,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes, here's the link to that section (iPad Questions).

2. Affinity is the name of the suite of programs. Besides Affinity Photo (for Mac, Win, iPad), there's also Affinity Designer (Mac and Win and soon iPad as well) and Publisher (not released yet).

3. Can you be more specific? Does the Pencil works with other apps when it fails in Affinity Photo? If so what operations/tools are you trying to use? Do you have the correct layer type selected when you are using them?

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi melgross,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes, here's the link to that section (iPad Questions).

2. Affinity is the name of the suite of programs. Besides Affinity Photo (for Mac, Win, iPad), there's also Affinity Designer (Mac and Win and soon iPad as well) and Publisher (not released yet).

3. Can you be more specific? Does the Pencil works with other apps when it fails in Affinity Photo? If so what operations/tools are you trying to use? Do you have the correct layer type selected when you are using them?

Thanks for replying.

Also, thanks for the link.

The problem with the name is that it’s very generic. Photo can mean anything. Fortunately, the color of the icon is so distinctive that it does stand out.

The Pencil is otherwise fine. At first I thought it wasn’t linked to the iPad, but it was. I’m using it on the background layer. For the image in mind, there is only a background layer, and no masks, etc. As I say, it seems to come and go. I can draw single pixel width lines, but not select anything. Or I can select a tool, but not use it. Or I can partly use it. For example, I can select the perspective tool. Then the grid shows up, partly off the screen to the right, which is odd in itself. I can then shrink the image to get to the edge of the grid and pull those points in with the pencil. Once I get it where I want, nothing happens. But if I do exactly the same thing with my fingers, the image adjusts the way it should. It’s very odd. None of the tutorials mention setting up the Pencil. 

After we we finish with this, I’ll go to the proper thread.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.