You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 1)

Not a biggie in the grand scheme of things but... still having this issue with the transparency tool I brought up a while back. 

Designer on the left, illustrator on the right. Designer transparency tool is not properly fading out the darker inner shadow on this shape to transparent as the illustrator opacity mask solution at right is. Designer seems to be stretching the inner shadow along the gradient of the transparency tool...

The expected result when using the transparency tool for a shape with an effect applied to it should be to fade out consistently.

I'm no programmer, but I see that the first screenshot gets darker towards the fadeout. It looks like you have an inner glow applied that might be conflicting with it.

I was about to say, try using the Transparency Tool on a mask layer, but I realized it doesn't work on masks. Then when I pressed Cmd Z, the program crashed. Oh darn.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I'm no programmer, but I see that the first screenshot gets darker towards the fadeout. It looks like you have an inner glow applied that might be conflicting with it.

Nope. No inner glow here just an inner shadow.

post-305-0-97548100-1495300899_thumb.png

Hi there,

I have a quick question... is there a way to make the "Align to key items: last selected" always turned ON? I used align all the time and this feature is really handy, however I still think it will be much easier if we could just select the items and then have they always anchored to the last selection without worrying about still picking the option later.

Reminous

Regarding the pencil tool and stabilizer. Works great and a welcome addition. Fun to play with. Thanks team!

As I'm a pen tool kind of guy and I haven't really used the pencil much before now in Designer, what's the magic key short for closing a path when drawing freehand? I searched the help system but didn't come across anything...

Well, I don’t think there is a shortcut key, but you can press the Cmd key in order to temporally get the Node Tool and drag one of the end nodes of your open path onto the other end node. That should close the path … at least, it does so here …  :)

Well, I don’t think there is a shortcut key, but you can press the Cmd key in order to temporally get the Node Tool and drag one of the end nodes of your open path onto the other end node. That should close the path … at least, it does so here …  :)

Yeah that works thanks A_B_C. Too bad it's an extra step. 

Hey team how about an option/pref to either auto close the path or a key short to allow it while drawing it...? :-)

Not sure if this is what retrograde is looking for, but under Preferences - Keyboard Shortcuts - Pen Tool, there's an option to assign a shortcut key to Break Curve or Join Curve.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Yes, but unfortunately, that doesn’t close a path and is not available for the Pencil or Vector Brush tools. “Break Curve” will open a path at a selected node, while “Join Curves” will join two open paths …  :(

Gosh, you are a terrible tease, Matt … 

I disagree, Alex. Matt is an excellent tease! :P

can’t wait to try this …   :D

It sounds as though you may not have to wait very much longer. B)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Congratulations on this first step towards the  1.6 release.

Yay! Excite to try it out

Argh! I just noticed this is the Mac release. Assume Windows ins't too far behind?

I feel stupid asking this, and I'm brand new here, but when I just opened up my Affinity Designer the program told me that there was an updated version. (I am also running Windows 10, btw) so I came here to look for the update. Now I see the Mac one, am I to assume based on this comment that the Windows update is still not available?

As a few others have reported, beta 1 crashed when I was using the glyph browser: I had already double-clicked on each of two glyphs to successfully add them to an artistic text block, but when I double-clicked on a third one, the app crashed. The Font was Roboto regular, if that makes a difference.

Also, I agree with what A_B_C said here about the selected tool highlight needing to be higher contrast (in both light & dark modes), This also applies to the buttons in the Main & Context toolbars & Studio panels, but it is most problematic in the Tools panel. We really, really need to be able to see at a glance which tool is selected, so either the color of the selected tool's background square (not the tool's icon) needs to contrast more with the panel's background color or there needs to be a high contrast border around the selected tool's square. As it is, at some UI gamma settings there is so little contrast that it is almost impossible to tell which tool is highlighted.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yet another font related bug, one that has also been present in the retail version for some time:

In the Character panel the top left popup that limits the fonts displayed to the collections from Apple's Font Book is off by one. So for example, I have a "Smart Collection" named "Fixed Width" set up with the rule 'Design Style is Monospaced' but to use it in the Character panel I have to select the next collection listed below it in the popup.

Aside from the minor annoyance, this means there is no way to select the last Font Book collection, whichever one is just above the Affinity "Missing Fonts" collection at the bottom of the list.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Am I doing something wrong?

The result from Expand Stroke seems to be worse in this beta. You can see one example in the attachments. A simple line with some pressure applied, and rounded ends. Viewed at 6000%. I get triangular ends on Expand and then have to adjust it manually.

Are the problems with Expand still being addressed?

post-17378-0-11409900-1495436209_thumb.png

post-17378-0-44844400-1495436236_thumb.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.