You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 1)

Yeah, while we’re at it: I’d still like to use ⌘-D for “Don’t Save” with a German OS and keyboard layout when closing an unsaved document. All other applications (except LibreOffice, too) do this.

That isn't as universal a keyboard shortcut as you might think. For example, in Apple's Text Edit app, to dismiss the warning popup & close new, untitled documents without saving them, the keyboard shortcut is now CMD + the Delete key. ⌘-D has no effect in the popup with the "Don't Save," "Cancel" & "Save" Buttons.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

About shortcuts, I prefer D for Duplicate instead J. Why J for duplicate ? J for Join ok but for Duplicate ?!?!

Lock > cmd + L

Unlock > cmd + shift + L

Select all > cmd + A

Deselect > cmd + D

Where is the logic ?

My brain is brainwashed by AI since 1993…

Where is the logic ?

What is logical about CMD+Z for undo, CMD+V for paste, or CMD+W for close?

By default, Photoshop uses CMD+J to duplicate layers & CMD+D to deselect. (Both frequently appear on lists of commonly used PS keyboard shortcuts, like this one.) Obviously, Illustrator uses them differently, so there is not even consistency across the entire Adobe product line.

Are you still unable to get Shift+X to work to swap fill & stroke colors of selected shapes?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In Draw Persona, does Select menu > Deselect or ⌘D not work for you? 

The Escape key can also work for that.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

When you have a selection (little dash line) cmd + D is evident (like Photoshop). It's a pixel work. By reflex, I use it.

But cmd + D for deselecting objects, never thought because it's a vector work.

So you have the same shortcut for pixel selections and objects. I must register that in my brain.

On another subject, didn't holding Shift while using the Pen Tool straighten out lines to 45 degree increments? It doesn't look like that can be done any more. Holding Shift now allows no action.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On another subject, didn't holding Shift while using the Pen Tool straighten out lines to 45 degree increments? It doesn't look like that can be done any more. Holding Shift now allows no action.

Confirmed here in AD 1.6.0.72 on Windows. Shift still works in Line Mode, Polygon Mode or Smart Mode, but not in Pen Mode.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Confirmed here in AD 1.6.0.72 on Windows. Shift still works in Line Mode, Polygon Mode or Smart Mode, but not in Pen Mode.

I swear there is no post you miss.

I swear there is no post you miss.

Well, you're quite wrong about that! And, needless to say, you shouldn't swear. :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Also fine here on 10.12.5 ...

@lenogre: Shift + X already swaps the fill & stroke colors on selected shapes for me -- does it not do this for you? Have you maybe changed/deleted this default in Keyboard Shortcuts preferences (in Draw > Miscellaneous)?

@Tekikou: Unlike for grids, you must create at least one guide or there is nothing to show, whether you use a keyboard shortcut for that or activate it from the View menu. Also, have you checked your Keyboard Shortcuts preferences to make sure the defaults used for showing grids & guides are still in effect (or whatever other shortcuts you may have changed them to)? They are in the Draw > View section, about half way down the list.

The defaults are ⌘; (Cmd+semicolon) to show Guides & ⌘' (Cmd+single quote) for Grids.

I have attached a footage of the bug  ;)

GuidesBug.mp4

Got two bugs to report:

• While working on a file, navigate back to an earlier stage using the protocol panel
  • Create a snapshot
  • Go back to the protocol panel and drag the slider handle
  • Program crashes
  • In a file with multiple artboards, click an artboard in the layers panel
  • Use the arrow keys to nudge the artboard a little
  • Repeat this process with the other artboards
  • Program crashes at some point

I have attached a footage of the bug  ;)

attachicon.gifGuidesBug.mp4

I am not sure what I am supposed to see but it looks like the guides hide when you untick "Show Guides" in the menu around 3 seconds before the end of the clip, but then, about 2 seconds before the end you apparently pressed ⌘; to show them again, & they do that. Very near the end it appears you have pressed Shift-⌘; & it ends with Shift & ⌘ held down, but Shift-⌘; is not (by default) a keyboard shortcut for anything, to the best of my knowledge.

Could you expalin a bit more about what you did in the video & what you expected to happen?

Affinity Photo 

I am not sure what I am supposed to see but it looks like the guides hide when you untick "Show Guides" in the menu around 3 seconds before the end of the clip, but then, about 2 seconds before the end you apparently pressed ⌘; to show them again, & they do that. Very near the end it appears you have pressed Shift-⌘; & it ends with Shift & ⌘ held down, but Shift-⌘; is not (by default) a keyboard shortcut for anything, to the best of my knowledge.

Could you expalin a bit more about what you did in the video & what you expected to happen?

Well, at the beginning I'm showing/hiding guides to show you that it has no effect at all. (At this point, I expect all my guides to show up but they won't.)
Then I'm adding a guide by dragging from the ruler, then all my guides appears.

And then I'm showing you that after doing so, the menu entry for showing/hiding guides is now working correctly.

you shouldn't swear. :P

I dear. My poor mouth.

Got two bugs to report:

• While working on a file, navigate back to an earlier stage using the protocol panel
  • Create a snapshot
  • Go back to the protocol panel and drag the slider handle
  • Program crashes

By the way, I can send you a crash report, if you’re interested.

• Staff

By the way, I can send you a crash report, if you’re interested.

If you have it available, then sending it to us at support@seriflabs.com would be a great help, thanks! :) 

(just put a link to this thread in the email so we know what it's relating to - thank you!)

• Align to key items (first/last selected)  //// Dont get how it works, can you give me a hint?
  • Text frame vertical alignment options //// Where?
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle). //// I wanna french kiss you!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

• Align to key items (first/last selected)  //// Dont get how it works, can you give me a hint?
  • Text frame vertical alignment options //// Where?

Ein letztes oder erstes Objekt muss ausgewählt werden (Auswahlreihenfolge bitte beachten!) und der entsprechende Befehl wie im Beispielfoto benutzt werden:

29599624sl.jpg

Unter Text ▹ Vertikale Ausrichtung ▹ …

I'm enjoying the beta version. Not all fonts seem to be recognized, as files from earlier versions of Affinity are reverting to standard fonts. Redoura Serif OTF is one example. Any logic to why certain fonts would not be compatible?

• Staff

I'm enjoying the beta version. Not all fonts seem to be recognized, as files from earlier versions of Affinity are reverting to standard fonts. Redoura Serif OTF is one example. Any logic to why certain fonts would not be compatible?

Hmm, that's very odd... certainly not the intention as far as I can imagine? Is there any chance you could send us one of these fonts to support@seriflabs.com so we can investigate it? Thank you! :)

I caught something else. It seems that just with this file, there is a problem with masking. White is supposed to bring back what was erased in the mask. There are two layers in this file; Cat and Background. I put the Background layer in a mask and erased the part of the sidewalk running through the cat. Now if I want to bring it back, the white brush acts as an eraser.

Masking Bug.afdesign

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.