You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 1)

Also good job on performance optimisation in Beta, it already runs much faster than 1.5 for me, and opens files with many objects without any lag...as well as being able to zoom in and out much faster.

+1 with @Hokusai, you are doing really good job with Designer and Photo...so much so, that I enjoy using it much more than AI and I'm really looking forward to Publisher, so I can hopefully turn away from CS completely...saying that there are still few bits that I'd really like implemented. One of my most wished for is a global default option in the Preferences for "scale with object". It is such a pain in the *** having to go through tons of layers and separately also through effects to enable it, to get it scale properly (I tried many times to do what some suggested and enable it at the top layer and that it should trickle down, but often that is not the case, I always tend to find few that don't, which means I need to go and manually check each and every layer, shape, effect, etc.).

If it can be enabled as is at the moment, is it that difficult to just add a default button in Preferences? I know you were talking at the beginning of this thread about certain features that sound difficult and are easy to implement and vice versa, but please please, default option for "scale with object" would be a saviour!

+1 A global option or preference would work here. No?

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is the first beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Hi MattP,

Just wondering if the prototyping is still in the loop. Like you talked (I think it was you), a little time ago.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25175-craft-by-invision-app/

And just by curiosity, will it still be an Affinity Designer for Ipad like Affinity Photo?

No stress I was just wondering, keep up the good work guys!

I just faced a first crash. It looks like it was triggered by unhiding a layer.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I had a crash when I created a new folder within the export dialog.

Also, one other annoyance I notice is that guides are sometimes only shown if I show the grid, but not by themselves. I. e. if I activate the grid I can show and hide guides but not if the grid is inactive.

I had a crash when I created a new folder within the export dialog.

Also, one other annoyance I notice is that guides are sometimes only shown if I show the grid, but not by themselves. I. e. if I activate the grid I can show and hide guides but not if the grid is inactive.

Yep, guides are really buggy, I can't show guides with the shortcut.

The only way to show guides is to actually add one.

Really annoying.

Need an offset function.

It's a very basic function. I don't understand why you don't add it. I know we can vectorize outline but we need after that delete one of the two paths. Very boring. Another bad point : AD generates too many points.

AI is still my best friend for this…

post-395-0-33663700-1497531888_thumb.png

(Hmm … guides seem to be fine here … macOS Sierra 10.12.5 …)

Also fine here on 10.12.5 ...

@lenogre: Shift + X already swaps the fill & stroke colors on selected shapes for me -- does it not do this for you? Have you maybe changed/deleted this default in Keyboard Shortcuts preferences (in Draw > Miscellaneous)?

@Tekikou: Unlike for grids, you must create at least one guide or there is nothing to show, whether you use a keyboard shortcut for that or activate it from the View menu. Also, have you checked your Keyboard Shortcuts preferences to make sure the defaults used for showing grids & guides are still in effect (or whatever other shortcuts you may have changed them to)? They are in the Draw > View section, about half way down the list.

The defaults are ⌘; (Cmd+semicolon) to show Guides & ⌘' (Cmd+single quote) for Grids.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Add a "Deselect all" function. We need to click on an empty space. Not user friendly.

In Draw Persona, does Select menu > Deselect or ⌘D not work for you? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I was trying Cmd Cap A…

If you want, you can set ⇧⌘A (SHIFT+CMD+A) as a custom keyboard shortcut for this. I just checked & it does not conflict with any of the defaults. You can also set it just for the Draw Persona, leaving the Pixel Persona with the default ⌘D.

Affinity Photo 

@lenogre: Shift + X already swaps the fill & stroke colors on selected shapes for me -- does it not do this for you? Have you maybe changed/deleted this default in Keyboard Shortcuts preferences (in Draw > Miscellaneous)?

It's very strange because Shift+X is assigned in preferences shortcuts but doesn't work. French or english interface, it's the same.

Alt+X works.

It's very strange because Shift+X is assigned in preferences shortcuts but doesn't work. French or english interface, it's the same.

Alt+X works.

Which version of the Mac operating system are you using? Which keyboard?

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.