You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

replacement for Lightroom and the other parts of RS?

I'm looking at this as a possible replacement for PhotoShop, but would like to know if it contains replacement for Lightroom and the other parts of RS as well, like Bridge, etc. I don't want to pay Adobe $10/month for the rest of my life, Can anyone comment on this?

There's no Affinity DAM yet. There will be in time.
I use Lightroom as a standalone app. (No monthly payment)
It works just fine. :)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Hi bobthom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is closer to Photoshop + Adobe Camera RAW than Lightroom. It doesn't manage libraries neither is able to spread settings across groups of selected images etc like a regular DAM would allow.

We would like to to develop a DAM application later (see our FAQ for more info) but it may still take a while until we get there.

What are the best options for a DAM solution then? Lightroom seems to be >£100 for a standalone version which may not be needed when Affinity create theirs. For about the same price you can get a year's subscription to CC. Is there a cheaper but adequate solution out there?

Is there a cheaper but adequate solution out there?

I've heard a few good things about Darktable over the last couple of years. Since it's free, it wouldn't hurt to give it a spin, see how it stacks up.

edit: ...provided you're on Mac or Linux. Strangely enough, they don't provide a Windows rev.

Thanks. But I'm a Windows user so maybe this won't help.

Looking at reviews and prices, I wonder if LightRoom 5 (£50 - less than half the price of LightRoom 6) would be adequate ...

• 3 weeks later...

Problem with getting into LightRoom is that I'll then there'll be a stronger argument (finance, skills, convenience, backup materials,  fluid workflow, consistent UI, interoperability) to go on to subscribe to CC which is just what I was trying to avoid. And I quite like Affinity for what it does so far. Just a pity about what it doesn't (yet) do.