You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bulb rendering

pmeinertz

Just played around tonight doing a bulb. Wanted to make some matt metal and high gloss glass with transparent effect.

Not super real, but OK I guess?

Could be fun to try and make the same but with light in it :-)

Hope you all like it!

Update:  Added original AD file. Not cleaned up so well in the naming of layers.

post-4312-0-51514700-1420666535_thumb.png

Bulb.afdesign

That's damn fine pmeinertz. Designer seems really well suited to this kind of work.

Great job on the glass, you must have been working from some reference... the metal is good too, you can almost feel the soft metal feel of those grooves... although I'd like to see a couple of harder highlights or contours in that area to offset all of the blur... just subtle, almost unnoticeable...

Wow! Very nicely done! That glass is excellent. I agree with retrograde about the metals. It's just lacking a tiny bit of 'something'

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

That's damn fine pmeinertz. Designer seems really well suited to this kind of work.

Great job on the glass, you must have been working from some reference... the metal is good too, you can almost feel the soft metal feel of those grooves... although I'd like to see a couple of harder highlights or contours in that area to offset all of the blur... just subtle, almost unnoticeable...

Thanks for your comments!

I did work from a photo of a bulb as reference. That photo did have harder highlights and sharp reflexions on the metal, but I liked the matt. When doing the harder details then it quickly looked fake. I will try and work on that, when I get more time. This rendering was done in 2 hours.

My next try will also be "put light in the bulb" and then I will try and make a wrist watch face.

I fin AD to be very good for this type of work. Much better than Illustrator! I have until now used Photoshop (using vector layers) and there I still have a little more freedom to make the subtle details. I expect that AD will become better and better and when AD is just in version 1 now and already soooo good it looks promissing.

It really is unbelievable the level of detail and near photo-realiam going on in that pic. Amazed that it only took you 2 hours. I would have been forever tinkering with the small details, never getting finished.

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

Very nice job there! I do like the matte on the metal end, nice contrast with the hard glossy glass part. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

It really is unbelievable the level of detail and near photo-realiam going on in that pic. Amazed that it only took you 2 hours. I would have been forever tinkering with the small details, never getting finished.

George

Thanks!  It is actually not so many details :-)

I have added the original AD file in my first post, if you should have any interest in seeing it.

Philip

A man after my own heart!

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0