You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

why is affinity opening a second icon in the dock?

I've noticed recently that if I have Affinity Photo active in the dock, then choose an image file and right click 'open with' Affinity Photo, a second AP icon appears in the dock - both shown as active.  A dialogue box then tells me that "Affinity Photo is already open'.  I click OK, and the app crashes.  I'm using 1.5.2, running on 10.11.6.  What's happening here?

Hi citroenDS,

Tried this with AP 1.5.2.69 on win10 and following what your doing both files open as expected in the same instance of AP.
Also tried opening the first in beta then right click 'open with' but selecting release version instead, second image opened in tab within active release AP, so two instances open.

So something strange going on with your machine/install, hopefully someone can work out what!

Regards

• Staff

I've noticed recently that if I have Affinity Photo active in the dock, then choose an image file and right click 'open with' Affinity Photo, a second AP icon appears in the dock - both shown as active.  A dialogue box then tells me that "Affinity Photo is already open'.  I click OK, and the app crashes.  I'm using 1.5.2, running on 10.11.6.  What's happening here?

I can't seem to reproduce this issue, when you right click an image and select Open With does it show as Affinity Photo (1.5.2)? I assume that if you open the second image from within the app using File > Open, you only have the one icon in the dock.

...yes, right clicking shows Affinity 1.5.2, and opening images from within the app itself works fine, showing just the one icon in the dock.

There is a 2nd dialogue box that follows the 'AP is already open' box. That reads:  'Affinity Photo quit unexpectedly.  Click reopen to open the application again. Click report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.' (There's also an option to 'Ignore'.) The reopen option just takes you back to 'AP is already open', and another crash.

The 'Problem Report for Affinity Photo' is extremely long, but the intro summary says:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000008

Exception Note: EXC-CORPSE_NOTIFY

My MBP is a mid-2015 and works perfectly in every other respect.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the devs or their QA colleagues may be along at some point this weekend, but you could try emailing support@seriflabs.com if you prefer not to depend upon getting a reply here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I've now emailed the 'support' address twice - and still not had a reply. Not even an acknowledgement.

It's 3 weeks since I posted the query. Surely someone at AP can see there may be a bug to fix, and can get a developer to look in to it?  

According to Patrick Connor's post here, you can access one-to-one support by emailing affinitysupport@serif.com. Following the link from that post to the 'Contact Us' topic yields yet another email address: affinity@serif.com. Take your pick!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)