You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I detect the various cmyks and pantones of a logo

I need to determine the pantones and cmyk of each leaf and the script of our logo - if I use colour picker it seems to change all the colours to a single colour, and still doesn't give me the pantone (I can see the 'level').

Forgive my ignorance - I'm new to design s/w and it's not my forte so if this question may be trivial to most - but it's really got me stuck!

post-59370-0-53709700-1495015459_thumb.jpg

• Staff

The colour picker is unable to determine the Pantone colour and to get the CYMK values use the colour picker to select the required colour and then double the click the selected colour to open the Colour chooser and this will display the colour values (as shown in the attached screen shot) and you can use one of the many website to convert these values to the nearest Pantone equivalent colour.

As to the font used in the logo I recommend using a WhatFont tool or website.

post-25202-0-48685100-1495021459_thumb.png

Hi MediSpera,

According to the screen shot of your logo the colors would be in CMYK:

Top sheet: 42; 11; 0; 16
Central sheet: 100; 9; 0; 33
Bottom sheet: 100; 4; 0; 46
Text: 100; 11; 0; 32

These values differ slightly for each color depending on where they are taken on the drawing.

For the Pantone values, I do not know if there is a CMYK / Pantone converter, you will certainly have to look in the Pantone palettes for the closest colors for each CMYK value.

Someone will certainly have a more appropriate answer.

There is no 1 to 1 match between Pantone colors and cmyk colors. AFAIK, Pantone is based on specific pigments on different paper stocks, why cmyk is an ideal color space not limited to the physical reflectance of pigment chemicals.

Affinity does include a wide variety of Pantone colors as swatches in the color settings dialogue. I suppose you could try a visual match, tho' there are hundreds of swatches. I just made a sample from the lightest color in the image, and found a close. but not perfect match. See attached.

There are a few online CMYK to Pantone matching utilities, but the results are approximate. You might take samples of the image in Affinity, and see what the data matches using those utilities.

post-34886-0-67332400-1495022951_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

As for the font, try Kudos Book SSi,

or any of the Kudos font family.

Speaking of fonts

Whenever I go down the arrow key to see how the font looks on a selected title, once I see one I like, as in Kudos, I hit the enter key-on a mac- and the font is already selected.

But if I decide to go back the list from where I left off, I have to start from the top again, leaving the area of favorite fonts and type the first few letters as in Kudos, otherwise from favorites area it will take me to the top of the letters of fonts that start with K and then scroll down to Kudos.

Anyone had the same experience.

Thanks

As for the font, try Kudos Book SSi,

or any of the Kudos font family.

I agree with Mike's identification of the font as Futura Medium. I think it's a better match.

As Mike has indicated in his PDF file, the text is the same colour as the middle shape, but my take on the nearest matching Pantone colours for the three shapes differs slightly from his.

Edit: Looking again, I've shifted towards Mike's choice of Pantone 630 C for the top shape. Pantone 550 C has too little cyan (or too much red).

post-8358-0-49263000-1495037388_thumb.png

post-8358-0-64289700-1495039342_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I gotta say, trying to match the pantone color from a screen image is not anywhere near exact. Or at least so complex that is very irritating. Doing a screen cap of Alfred's image, for instance, and putting it into Photoshop Elements, the RGB reading were close, but not the same. Off by average 10. Thinking to myself, do I need to calibrate my screen? Do I need to assign a different profile to the down load images? Etc...

Also, online images for the Pantone colors don't match the ones suggested in the responses.

My suggestion to MediSpera is to make a good copy in Affinity. Print it out, and see how close it is to an example of the original logo.  If it doesn't work well, try again till its good enough. Then, if necessary, go to a printer who has a current Pantone swatch book, and do a best match under illumination w. best CRI. When its close enough, write the Pantone numbers in stone, and don't let them get separated from the vector work.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Doing a screen cap of Alfred's image, for instance, and putting it into Photoshop Elements, the RGB reading were close, but not the same.

Do you get the same result if you download the image and open it in PSE, instead of pasting a screenshot? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Do you get the same result if you download the image and open it in PSE, instead of pasting a screenshot? ears.gif

Yup, just about the same. see attached image w. the sample  image as reported in PSE.

post-34886-0-78183600-1495047406_thumb.jpg

Huion WH1409 tablet