You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Upgrade Suggestions.

Since windows users (maybe Apple too) are not going to see Affinity Publisher for a long time, why not make a special purchase?  For the suggested price of what Affinity Publisher will be they give windows users PagePlus X9 to work with and then upgrade to Affinity Publisher for free (or priced adjusted from what they paid) when it is finally released?

This way users that have no publishing software can do some projects without moving away from Serif.  It will also give Affinity some capital to move this project along.

give windows users PagePlus X9 to work with and then upgrade to Affinity Publisher for free (or priced adjusted from what they paid) when it is finally released?

PagePlus X9 is now $30. I can't imagine Affinity Publisher being sold for less than the $50 currently charged for the other Affinity apps.

We've been told unequivocally that APub won't be able to open PP project files, so there would be no direct 'upgrade' path in that sense.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Clearly, Serif staff themselves need to answer your question directly.

But, perhaps the biggest "problem" in this suggestion (apart from the potential loss of at least some revenue for Serif) is that the files produced by PagePlus, .ppp format, will NOT be compatible with the new Affinity Publisher so it will not be possible to open PP files in APub.

Jeff

EDIT:  I see Alfred posted as I was writing.

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

It's really pretty simple. And no option will be natively transferable to APub when it arrives.

Rent ID. Purchase another layout application capable of the work you do, and there are a few options. Or, use Scribus, which is OpenSource.

APub is likely not going to be as functional of any of the above options for at least a few years if not several years.

While you will not be able to import the file into Affinity Publisher.  Neither will you if you get tired of waiting and move to a different product.

My idea is to get people that need a desktop punishing program now, with a monatary upgrade path to Affinity Publisher.

So say you buy PagePlus X9 is now for $30. then when Affinity Publisher comes out you just pay the difference and you stay a customer.  Any other scenario they will either have people complain poisoning the product, or just leave for another software solution.

@MikeW- Is Scribus a worthwhile compromise?  i have not tired it.

I doubt there will be an upgrade path from PP to APub even if APub costs double of what the current Affinity products cost.

Scribus is mentioned simply for the cost factor and cross-platform. It is something that I think has good intentions but is horrible to use.

PagePlus is fine for the Windows crowd or the Mac users willing to do what it takes to run Windows applications.

But really, there are only three viable cross-platform layout applications. And that will still be true when APub is initially released for all but less involved layout work.

To bad I would get PagePlus as temporary patch until Affinity Publisher comes out if Serif let it be an upgrade path.

So with no reason to stick with Serif for a publishing solution, would Xara Page & Layout Designer be the best Windows under $300 choice?

XP&GD is a sucky, scaled down version of Xara Designer Pro. I have and use XDP every day. While it has pages, linked text frames, "repeating objects," and one can use layers for stuff that repeats (a dumb version of Master pages, for instance), page numbers (that mostly work) etc., and the fact there are people that have used it for books, etc., I have not used it for more than for an X-page length brochure and smaller. Mostly I use it for content that is to be placed in a layout application.

All the Xara products are derived from XDP. While they do offer a cross-grade option, it is still more expensive than it ought to be. Heck, they just got around to including two, count 'em two, OpenType features. More will come and this is a welcome addition. But if you need to do more than a brochure in it, it may not be suitable for you. As is always the case, download the trial and see for yourself. And if you have questions about it, be sure to post them on the official Xara forum (talkgraphics.com) and not here.

If you have ever owned a version of QXP, for less than another week your budget is close with their new version upgrade path.

Mike

I would love to own Quark express, but can not afford the full price.

I do not see Affinity Publisher coming to windows any time soon, so I am a looking for a solid affordable option that i can do paper and web publications that includes professional printing with proper images and colors.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to own Quark express, but can not afford the full price.

I do not see Affinity Publisher coming to windows any time soon, so I am a looking for a solid affordable option that i can do paper and web publications that includes professional printing with proper images and colors.

Or you could try VIVA Designer, they have different packages in terms of cost you should be able to get a version for under $100 USD