You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Vector shape(mask) from raster(paint)

The idea is to have a feature where a painted area is used as a reference for a closed vector shape to be created.
In a sense it's like 'create a mask from selection', but the idea is that the result will be a vector shape a curve, and not just a raster mask. Also, ideally you would have to select anything it would just create the shape based on whats painted on screen vs. whats not painted.
This could speed up the creation of complex shapes without needing the pen tool or a vector brush, depending.

As far as I'm aware, currently, there is no way to create vector from raster.

• Staff

Hi Kiori,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is one of the most requested features (an automatic tracing tool if i understood you correctly). The dev team do intend to add one at some point assuming they are able to achieve the output/quality they expect.

We also have the ability to convert a pixel selection into a vector path in Designer's roadmap.

• 7 months later...
On 16/05/2017 at 0:15 PM, MEB said:

Hi Kiori,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is one of the most requested features (an automatic tracing tool if i understood you correctly). The dev team do intend to add one at some point assuming they are able to achieve the output/quality they expect.

We also have the ability to convert a pixel selection into a vector path in Designer's roadmap.

Thanks for the reply. I believe it's the the pixel to vector. What i imagined is i'd draw something, and then have it become a 'shape', that would speed up the creation of complex shapes.

So let's say i create an odd 7 point star, with some points larger than others, then i select the figure, click somewhere and my selection becomes a shape on its own right, with proper edges, etc.
And I'll 'symbol' it for later use. Or ideally it should just see what's painted vs whats not, say if the figure is black and it's the only thing painted on the canvas.
Probably you guys can come up with some genius workflow for this, as you've done before.