You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just starting with AD, and need to connect circles with lines, then repeat, to make a network image. 

I want to be able to move the connected circles and lines freely, as well as lock them, if that makes sense.

What is the best/easiest way to do this?

Any tutorial videos on this?

Many thanks

Not knowing exactly what you are trying to do, I'll suggest you look at the tutorial vids for "power duplicate," and perhaps working w. symbols.

It is worth mentioning that the boolean operations which can combine, add, divide object, etc, do not work as often expected when used with a closed shape like a circle, and a straight line, which is a stroke that does no enclose an area. But 2 such objects can be grouped together, and moved.

Any layer object or group when locked cannot be manipulated.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

If you're looking for some kind of connector tool which attaches each end of a line to an arbitrary point on the perimeter of an object (or to one of four or eight fixed connection points) and makes it stick so that the line moves when you move one of the objects, then Affinity Designer doesn't have that yet. Grouping objects will keep them together, of course, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Everyone,

I had delved into this in the past and found Microsoft's Visio to be a stellar application for, among other things, mapping network topology. Symbols are included for all manner of network nodes, computers, routers, etc. And they have handles that allow our lines (ethernet or equivalent) to lock onto them. Moving nodes around will also move the network lines. I had fun working with that application and made my manager very happy!

Visio includes process flowchart tools that are simpler, like circles, rectangles, triangles, etc.

Disclaimer: I don't own a PC nor Visio; it was only in my old workplace.

Best Regards ;-)

Hi Everyone,

I had delved into this in the past and found Microsoft's Visio to be a stellar application for, among other things, mapping network topology. Symbols are included for all manner of network nodes, computers, routers, etc. And they have handles that allow our lines (ethernet or equivalent) to lock onto them. Moving nodes around will also move the network lines. I had fun working with that application and made my manager very happy!

Visio includes process flowchart tools that are simpler, like circles, rectangles, triangles, etc.

Disclaimer: I don't own a PC nor Visio; it was only in my old workplace.

Best Regards ;-)

inspiration ver 9 (requires a computer)

http://www.inspiration.com/Inspiration

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop