You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using raw NEF files from MAC Photos

I am interested in finding out the ramifications of trying to import and export raw photos from Apple Photos program given that NEF files are not listed as one of the formats to use for export on the Affinity program.  I use my Nikon camera to shoot raw exclusively and wonder if this is the best photo processing program for me to use.

• Staff

Hi Hoover,

Welcome to the forums.

You can open Nikon NEF files directly in Affinity Photo, see our support RAW list here. We also have extensions available in Apple Photos to allow adjustments to be made using Affinity, you can also choose to 'Edit in Affinity Photo'. This transfers the file into Affinity for editing, once you are done you save and close, the file inside Apple Photos will be update with the changes. However on RAW files you may receive a prompt that the 16MB size change limit has be exceeded and the document will be flattened and choosing Save will result in a JPG. However Apple Photo also gives you the option of Reverting to original which will bring the RAW file back.