You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Specify distance between nodes in AD?

I'm trying to plan out a diecut shape in AD for cutting and I have the measurements and shapes I need.

I can draw a square or rectangle for instance with the Pen tool and specify in Transform how large each side is.

If I draw an irregular shape, how can I specify the exact size of each side of this - or else specify the distance between each node without painstakingly having to drag it and align it against my grid? Is there a way to do this yet?

Hi robkendrew,

To my knowledge there is no way to measure the distance between the nodes.

If the shape is composed of straight lines, you can use a rectangle that you place between two nodes, you straighten it and the dimension between the nodes will be displayed.

This is a makeshift solution, not very practical and someone may have another solution.

post-37692-0-47497700-1494845505_thumb.png

Hi robkendrew,

Welcome to the forum

If you select the two nodes on the side you wish to specify the size of and then using the the Transform tab enter the size you want for the side in the width box and the size will be applied between these nodes.

Hi DWright,

One thing escapes me: if I select the two nodes, the length does not correspond to that of the rectangle (in my example), although the distance is the same.

With the two selected nodes, the distance is shorter but corresponds well to the result of the Pythagorean theorem.

What is wrong with the rectangle?

post-37692-0-93231400-1494846984_thumb.png

looks like the size shown in the transform panel is the square size and not the length of the line.

post-35341-0-82580400-1494856414_thumb.png

black is transform panel size, and red is calculated size

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

If you select the two nodes on the side you wish to specify the size of and then using the the Transform tab enter the size you want for the side in the width box and the size will be applied between these nodes.

We need the same functionality for the rotate & skew parameters!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I just made amends because I did a try again and I must say that I was completely wrong in my first post, I do not know how I arrived at this wrong result!
It was completely illogical and yet the result was there.
Thanks to DWright and dutchshader for their explanations.