You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Managing brushes, swatches, styles etc. between Photo and Designer

Hello,

I recently started organizing the various Resources available here as well as PSD brushes and AI ASE swatch libraries. Separate Photo and Designer folders were set up in my Documents folder with subfolders for brushes, colors, gradients, and styles.  

At some point, I realized that the brushes can be imported into both Photo and Designer.  Same with colors, gradients, and styles.  This changed my folder structure to one set common to both applications:  Brushes, Colors, etc.  Palettes are imported as needed rather than having a long list of application palettes in each document.

Does this make sense? 

How are other users organizing their resources?

Thanks,

Wally

I tend not to put much in my home folder Documents folder, mostly to keep file paths a bit shorter, so at the top level of my home folder I have an "AFFINITY" folder for everything related to Photo & Designer. In it are subfolders for Photo documents, Designer documents, & one named "* BRUSHES, PATTERNS, PALLETS" which is a catchall folder for those three items plus everything else related to Affinity that is not a document file.

This last folder includes exported shortcuts, .afmacros collections I have downloaded, the keyboard shortcuts downloaded template files, folders for saved png patterns & texture fills from an older version of PSE, & even a zipped backup of the NIK collection installer. Like the exported shortcuts & .afmacros files, the styles, palettes (swatches), & brushes folders are basically backups for things that are already available in the apps, mostly in .propcol (property collection?) files, so that if I I have to reset one of the apps I can import them again. The Brushes subfolder is divided into Raster & Vector subfolders, & elsewhere there are subfolders for AD & AP related items if they are not the same for both.

This probably is not typical & maybe a bit over the top but it suits me -- I am a big believer in redundant backups.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think you've confirmed my decision to have a common folder for brushes, etc., but have also pointed to many other useful options to make restoring the apps a breeze during a future clean or new installation.

Thanks!