You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would override standard Windows behaviour while in Affinity

I think most of us could live with that! I would personally find it preferable to the status quo, where I can't use the right and left mouse buttons simultaneously unless I have my trackball plugged in to my laptop.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred:

Just curious, but what kind of trackball do you use? On my iMac, I use the USB version of the Kensington "Expert Mouse" trackball. It has four buttons plus a scroll ring that functions like a mouse wheel. The scroll ring works great with Affinity's "Use mouse wheel to zoom" option.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Alfred:

Just curious, but what kind of trackball do you use? On my iMac, I use the USB version of the Kensington "Expert Mouse" trackball. It has four buttons plus a scroll ring that functions like a mouse wheel. The scroll ring works great with Affinity's "Use mouse wheel to zoom" option.

I use a Logitech Trackman Marble trackball, a USB device which has four configurable buttons but no scroll ring or wheel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@toltec - you can use a 5 button mouse with a Mac.  I do.

One advantage of a Mac over a PC with our software is the extra modifier key you get on the keyboard.  Some of our tools have been geared up to make the best use of 4 modifiers, and those keys are nice and close together so complement mouse actions well.

You have to remember my age, sonny!

In my day it was 15" CRT screens and I think a Mac FX which was state-of-the-art. 

But yes, I did end up with a 3 button mouse but Apple never implemented it as well as Acorn did. And the PC still doesn't, 25 years on despite copying Acorn's layout. Maybe things have improved with the Mac ?  I just found Macs very poor at productivity.

With the Acorn you could bring up a context menu anywhere, reverse direction with the right button or drag the window with it. So useful for moving around an image. 

Like editing around an image with a brush or the pen, middle mouse button to bring up the context menu, set things like opacity, flow, brush width, right button to pan, delete or move nodes. Much faster than waving the mouse around and it leaves the left hand free for modifier keys or coffee. You don't even have to take your eyes off the point of focus which again, slows you down. 

Don't get me wrong, you lot have done a simply brilliant job with all the features but image editing productivity could be a lot better. But then so could Photoshop.

Nobody ever pays attention to that sort of thing though.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@toltec - you may find this interesting (or horrifying, depending on how you think about it) but it explains why Apple took so long to embrace the concept of a multi-button mouse.

At one time or another I have used almost all of Apple's rodents, & there in not one I think has been very good at anything other than looking pretty. I say this from the perspective of someone who has had a strong preference for Macs ever since I saw someone using an early Powerbook, probably a 170, circa 1992 & got a chance to play with it.

The current "Magic Mouse 2" is still just a two button mouse, like its predecessor with a multi-touch sensor cleverly integrated into its top surface that allows a plethora of one-handed gesture controls with up to three fingers (if you have the dexterity for that), but as pretty & sleek as it is, it still falls far short of much simpler multi-button devices like Logitech or Kensington offer.

So yeah, things have improved greatly over the years for Macs, but only if you use something other than an Apple-designed mouse.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

A lot of talk about mouse buttons here, please don't forget not everyone uses a mouse, and I never have in 30+ years. Digitisers have been around longer than mice and I think Wacom have sold more than a few....

...plus, can we please have a symmetrical node type after all these years? just add a button in the context toolbar next to the existing ones (sharp, smooth, smart, symmetrical),.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM