You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I noticed that when I do my first level edit in Canon's DPP 4.5 and save it Affinity still opens the original image. It is a bit annoying and the only way to capture those edits is to convert the image to JPG and then edit in Affinity. The problem is every conversion means loss of image quality. Is there a way around this? 

• Staff

Hi Bokeh,

Welcome to Affinity Forums  :)

Does Canon's DPP 4.5 save your edits to a XMP sidecar file? Currently Affinity Photo doesn't support them.

When you open a RAW file in Affinity Photo, it opens it in Develop Persona without taking in account any XMP sidecar file that may be associated with it, so you have to start from scratch if you want to work directly with the RAW file. The Develop Persona is where you can perform the Raw conversion/development applying a series of adjustements to the image. It's not possible to save or export the image at this stage. You have to click the blue Develop button on the top right of the interface (in the context toolbar) to move the image to Photo Persona where you can further edit the image using all usual photo-editing tools you find in photo editors (masks, channels, filters etc). It's here where you can export your image to any format you want going to menu File ▸ Export or save it in the native Affinity Photo file format (.afphoto) which will keep all edits/adjustments you have made in Photo Persona intact/editable for later if needed. Currently Affinity Photo does NOT save any XMP sidecar files with the adjustements you have done in RAW (Develop Persona). As soon as you hit the Develop button they are processed and backed in the image before moving to Photo Persona, so there's no way to edit them again.

Regular images (JPG, PNG, TIFF, PSD, etc) open directly in Photo Persona.

If you are getting started with the program I advise you to take a look at the Official Affinity Photo Video Tutorials thread. They cover almost (if not all) features of the program and and a great way to understand its concepts (Personas, Live Adjustements/filters etc etc).

Can you not save from DPP 4.5 to a Tiff file, which would preserve quality? In Windows, if Affinity is your default Tiff editor, then it should open automatically when you save it from DPP.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Of the choice offered there, the 16-bit Tiff will offer the best quality and should preserve all the modifications you made in your RAW processor.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Thank you all it helps. I use DPP as I find a bit easier and usually export using jpg purely to save disk space tiff are 10 times bigger much bigger than raw file itself. But any I got the answer and know the way.