You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I am currently in my 10 day trial period and am pleased to see that I may not have to spend the $20 a month for Adobe Illustrator. I have been able to use most of a tutorial I had wanted to use for comparison but for a few things, such as: I need a brush pattern to distribute along a path. (Ellipse) I can't seem to figure this one out. The terminologies seem different, though, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Also, many of the items I work with require working in Illustrator, then opening in Photoshop to complete. This is another task that I can't seem to work out correctly. These two things.. and I'm a sold customer! Can anyone help?

Sidebar: I am not a numbers person. I see some people using this thing called logic with numbers and I have no desire to run calculations in the middle of a creative process. Throws a wrench in my gears, which are already fairly rusty. :)

Thanks so much for any help! 

Any stroke in AD can have a brush replace the plain line. With the ellipse selected, look at the upper left hand of the tool context bar at the top of the work area. Click on the stroke dialogue button. Click on the little brush icon on the right, the textured brush option. Or go over to the right of the screen where there are buttons labeled color, swatches, stroke, and brushes, and do the same thing there w. the stroke dialogue. Then click nest to it to get access to the available brushes. There are 7 included image brushes as samples. One can make ones own brushes, and there are a number of users who have donated or sell brushes they have made.

If you have Photo, the is a file menu that will open the vector work for editing in Photo. However, Designer has quite a few operations in common w. Photo, and you may be able to do what you need in Designer alone.

1 of the reasons I bought Designer was its fine selection of bitmap painting and manipulation tools.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Any stroke in AD can have a brush replace the plain line.

Maybe this is not the right place to mention this, but there is a bug in AD when using textured brushes: if a pressure profile has been applied to a shape's stroke & then one of the built-in textures is applied to that stroke, clicking on the Solid Line or Dash Line style buttons does not change the stroke back to either of those styles -- you are stuck with that style unless or until you reset the pressure profile, although you can still change its width.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks so much! I am in the trial period for Affinity Designer, I forgot there were other products as well, sorry!  Love all of the support in the forum and the willingness of the creators to listen to the needs of the users. Definitely buying this!