You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've always wanted to do timelapses and I've done quite a few before - but in all of them I've shot in jpeg and without any editing

I'm preparing to do a night timelapse of stars at one of our national parks

Most guides on the internet recommend shooting in RAW so that I can get the best look from the stars and night sky

But as users of Affinity Photo know - there's no way to do batch edits on RAW files using Affinity photo

So can I get a good timelapse if I shoot in JPEG? Or should I shoot in RAW and spend days in editing the RAW files? (3 minutes per photo, 600 photos - that's 30 hours of total editing time)

Any advice?

I'd shoot in RAW and worry about the processing later - you can't go from JPEG to RAW. You can use presets to help process large numbers of RAW files but, in this case, I don't think AP's the right tool for the job. If the software supplied with your camera can't do it you could try RawTherapee - it's free, though I find it's at the fierce end of the user friendliness spectrum.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

You should definitely shoot in RAW. In what software are you creating your timelapse? Why are you thinking so complicated, editing every single photo by itself? Just import the RAW sequence into your video editor (maybe you have to convert it to dpx or something like that before), and grade the whole sequence at once....

You should definitely shoot in RAW. In what software are you creating your timelapse? Why are you thinking so complicated, editing every single photo by itself? Just import the RAW sequence into your video editor (maybe you have to convert it to dpx or something like that before), and grade the whole sequence at once....

I've been using Microsoft powerpoint to create timelapses since I haven't tried anything else

If I shoot astro shots in RAW, I can then play around with the exposure, contrast and tone curves and then apply that to all photos

But using affinity photo it is impossible to apply one set of edits to all raw photos at the same time. I would have you open each raw file, apply edits, save, then start again with the next photo.

I didn't know that there are software that can use raw files and give out a video/timelapse - but would they also give the option to edit the raw files before creating the video?

I'd shoot in RAW and worry about the processing later - you can't go from JPEG to RAW. You can use presets to help process large numbers of RAW files but, in this case, I don't think AP's the right tool for the job. If the software supplied with your camera can't do it you could try RawTherapee - it's free, though I find it's at the fierce end of the user friendliness spectrum.

You weren't kidding about the user unfriendliness - took me 10 minutes to figure out how to batch process photos

Now I just need to understand how to use it and which parameters I can change - it's noise reduction is giving me issues