You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys and wonderful Moderators,

I know it's been probably said in a few posts but I'd like to list some of what I think are a few of the most needed features in AP.

1. refine masks uusing levels and curves, this is the most important thing, I'm not talking about refine edges or similar, I'm saying that once you created a mask

to have the possibility to open a curve or levels adjustement for that mask to refine its range, as things are now we are pretty much stuck with the mask as it is at the moment of                         creating it, I just refuse to believe such thing is not available in AP, it's a foundamental feature, I mean AP has equations, EQUATIONS!!! and we can't put in this feature?

2. Some sort of luminosity masks panel, YES I'll ask for it for as much as it takes, even if it means having you put one in out of desperation for not having to read my every post about  it.
   And I mean a full fledged LM panel, not the select midtones/shadow/highligh thingy, I mean a zones system/varying degrees of shadow/midtones/highlight selection though masks maybe.
  Seriously the channel way of doing it manually as it is now is cumbersome and uneffective, resterize layer to mask? really guys? nice feature but let's just step it up.

3. color picker when using the HSL tool

4. More color selection well...selections, blue, red and green are not enough really, maybve axpand to yellow, cyan, magenta.

5. slice tool to percentage or exact slices, as of right now I find the slice tool really...casual and amateur, would be nice to tell AP to: 'slice the image in 3 part vertically', insted of the free hand tool, which is pretty much useless imo.

6. suggestion for 3 filters, one is the tonal contrast equivalent, would be nice and save a lot of time having some sort of tonal contrast in the live filters, baybe a dynamic brightness too.
    your glow filter, nice idea, but poorly implemented all it does is blow out the highlight, maybe making it s that it protect saturation and luminance in some way, that's be nice.

7. create a panorama out of the opened files, same goes for hdr, it's really bothersome having to export all images before having AP create a new pano.

7 1/2, come on guys, let's just have an 'align layers' option, I don't know if i'm doing somehing wrong but stack create stack in the arrange panel doe snot align anything if you're not opening a brand new set of images, we need to align layers in an opened file.

Thank you guys for this platform in which you allow us to give suggestion, I know i may sounfd just like the usual run of the mill whyny customer, but I do complain because I believe in this software and its possibility.
Seriously though, take into consideration these suggestion, let's not just trail behind Photoshop, let's make a clear jump foreward.

Hi guys and wonderful Moderators,

I know it's been probably said in a few posts but I'd like to list some of what I think are a few of the most needed features in AP.

1. refine masks uusing levels and curves, this is the most important thing, I'm not talking about refine edges or similar, I'm saying that once you created a mask

to have the possibility to open a curve or levels adjustement for that mask to refine its range, as things are now we are pretty much stuck with the mask as it is at the moment of                         creating it, I just refuse to believe such thing is not available in AP, it's a foundamental feature, I mean AP has equations, EQUATIONS!!! and we can't put in this feature?

[...]

As I have very limited time right now, I'll respond only about # 1

You can do it already: just drop a curve to the mask and, that's the important step, choose ALPHA from the drop down menu within the curve window.

Hope that makes sense.

I can't check AP at the moment, hope the steps were right.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

As I have very limited time right now, I'll respond only about # 1

You can do it already: just drop a curve to the mask and, that's the important step, choose ALPHA from the drop down menu within the curve window.

Hope that makes sense.

I can't check AP at the moment, hope the steps were right.

I fail to understand how, let's say just for an example that I have my pixel layer, than I have a vibrance ad.layer on top, the mask from that vibrance layer has been created by selecting the highlights, how can you refine now that mask using a curve or level that are for the mask only?

I'll attach a PS screenshot so that I can make clear of my intention

post-40797-0-38417400-1494545586_thumb.jpg

post-40797-0-87582800-1494546460_thumb.jpg

Thanks verysame, it helps, but still it is a method that does not provide a visual rapresentation of the mask and its affected range, better than nothing I guess, but still off the mark, and as I was stating, too convoluted and kills workflow

I'm still watching for 'picas' as a measurement unit. It's a standard measurement that makes the gap between points and inches manageable.

Like inches, feet and yards, with twelve inches to the foot and three feet to the yard, there are twelve points to the pica and six picas to the inch.

PLEASE, this is the only design program I have ever used that DOESN'T offer this unit.

Thanks verysame, it helps, but still it is a method that does not provide a visual rapresentation of the mask and its affected range, better than nothing I guess, but still off the mark, and as I was stating, too convoluted and kills workflow

I guess you are referring to the fact that when we use a curve to tweak a mask in AP, we only get a visual feedback on the layer, not the mask, is that right?

If that's what you mean, I had the same thought when I found out how this works in AP, although I have to admit I'm OK with the way it works as in the end I have a feedback of the curve adjustment on the actual layer, which after all it's what I'm interested in.

Basically, in PS it's almost the same thing: you either see what the curve is doing to the greyscale area or what the curve is doing to the actual layer. In AP, you only see the effect on the layer, but then again, is not what we need in the end?

I am a big fan of this method and I use it all the time and, after the initial confusion, I can tell you I don't miss the greyscale representation.

Perhaps see if you can get used to it, a few things just need a little more time. After all it's a different environment ;)

I personally have spent last few months getting used to AP and I now find almost frustrating (!) when I have to go back to PS.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

I guess you are referring to the fact that when we use a curve to tweak a mask in AP, we only get a visual feedback on the layer, not the mask, is that right?

If that's what you mean, I had the same thought when I found out how this works in AP, although I have to admit I'm OK with the way it works as in the end I have a feedback of the curve adjustment on the actual layer, which after all it's what I'm interested in.

Basically, in PS it's almost the same thing: you either see what the curve is doing to the greyscale area or what the curve is doing to the actual layer. In AP, you only see the effect on the layer, but then again, is not what we need in the end?

I am a big fan of this method and I use it all the time and, after the initial confusion, I can tell you I don't miss the greyscale representation.

Perhaps see if you can get used to it, a few things just need a little more time. After all it's a different environment ;)

I personally have spent last few months getting used to AP and I now find almost frustrating (!) when I have to go back to PS.

I know it's a dofferent enviroment, and we can't actually ask serif to giive us PS under a differet name, but man I miss grayscale rapresentation, and as I stated before it's just one of the different thing that bugs me that I find can be solved in a much more simple way, alla in all it's not a deal breaker but all the features that are missing in ap, those that require a lenghty operation and the performance aspect of the program itself do stack up to result in a frustrating xperience I have to admit

I think these are two different things though, I mean, missing features and different behaviors.

The way we work with masks and layers in Affinity, despite being similar to PS, comes from a different concept than the one in PS.

I don't consider this particular aspect a missing feature, rather a different way to work with it.

For instance, you can preview and paint on greyscale masks, because you are intervening on that one instance only, but since you need to nest a curve adjustment to a mask layer, AP can't preview two things at the same time. But this way to work with layers, the way we nest them, is the very reason why AP is different from PS, and personally it's what I love about AP.

Andrew
-