You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need help in locating a specific laptop type

My brother wants a new laptop since the current one is getting old and is not satisfying most of his needs

He's studying architecture and uses autocad, sketchup, lumion and other design and editing software. He also is an artist and likes to sketch using a pen on a screen

He's looking for a laptop with these specific specs

1. Screen size between 13 and 14 inches
  2. Screen resolution - minimum 1080p
  3. Processor - intel i7, 6th or 7th generation
  4. RAM: Minimum 8GB
  5. Hard drive - preferably HDD since that's cheaper and bigger
  6. Keyboard - backlit
  7. OS: Windows 10
  8. Graphics Card: NVIDIA 4GB 950 or higher
  9. Form factor - 360 degrees rotating hinge
  10. Screen type - touch with pen support
  11. Weight: less than 3kg
  12. Price: less than 1250USD

Any ideas on where he can get his dream laptop?

I also happen to need a laptop but I can do with a bigger screen and any kind of hinge

I liked my Lenovo 13" Yoga2 Pro touchscreen for awhile particularly for travel but really missed the 2" extra screen size for AD & AP. So last week I purchased this one and am really happy with the speed and graphics screen. I'm keeping the 13" for non-graphics apps.

http://www.frys.com/product/9140428

LENOVO® Y520 Gaming Laptop

Operating System: Windows 10

• 7th Gen. Intel 4-Core i7- 7700HQ Processor

• Memory: 16GB DDR4

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB DDR5 Graphics

• 1TB 5400RPM + 128GB SSD

• 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Display

• NO DVDRW

• 720P Front Camera

• 802.11 AC, Bluetooth 4.1

• Dolby Advance Audio

• 1 x USB Type-C, 3 x USB 3.0, HDMI-Out, Audio Combo Jack

• 4 in 1 Card Reader

This is a "moderate" gaming laptop ($1K-$1.2K depending on store) and therefore, not a pen-on-screen type. Many 13" laptops have ssd but no GPU. For architecture and Autocad, your brother will be scrolling a lot. Not trying to change anyone's mind here but make sure a 13" will make you happy before you buy.

:)

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I liked my Lenovo 13" Yoga2 Pro touchscreen for awhile particularly for travel but really missed the 2" extra screen size for AD & AP.

Lenovo's Yoga range immediately sprang to mind when I saw "360 degrees rotating hinge" in the OP's specs, but the new Yogas seem to depend on SSD rather than HDD for their main storage. Backlit keyboards appear to be very much the preserve of gaming laptops such as the Y520.

My current laptop is a Lenovo Flex model with a 14" screen. I like the fact that it's so much lighter than my old 15.6" laptop, but that probably has less to do with the screen size and more to do with the lack of a built-in optical drive. The screen is big enough that it's a good compromise; I think I would find a 13.3" screen just a bit too small for comfort where regular use is concerned.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Lenovo's Yoga range immediately sprang to mind when I saw "360 degrees rotating hinge" in the OP's specs, but the new Yogas seem to depend on SSD rather than HDD for their main storage. Backlit keyboards appear to be very much the preserve of gaming laptops such as the Y520.

My current laptop is a Lenovo Flex model with a 14" screen. I like the fact that it's so much lighter than my old 15.6" laptop, but that probably has less to do with the screen size and more to do with the lack of a built-in optical drive. The screen is big enough that it's a good compromise; I think I would find a 13.3" screen just a bit to small for comfort where regular use is concerned.

Does your model have a touch screen and digitiser support?

Does your model have a touch screen and digitiser support?

It does have a touch screen, but I'm not sure what you mean by "digitiser support" in this context.

Alfred spacer.png

Can you use a pen to draw?

Not if you mean a real (ink) pen, or the type of stylus that works with a graphics tablet. I can only use a finger or a capacitive stylus.

Alfred spacer.png