You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Metadata lost when importing NEF files.

After importing Nikon D7000 NEF files into Affinity, several EXIF data are lost, most important (for me) are the GPS data. Almost all IPTC Content data are lost (Title, Headline, Description, Keywords.)

If the same files are converted to JPEG before imported, all data are kept.

Hi DWright.

Hope the link to my picture is working.

I have been digging a little further. The GPS - and IPTC data have been added in ACDSee, resulting in the sidecar file for the RAW picture. I believe the sidecar file is ignored by Affinity when importing.

• Staff

Hi Oilsoe,

Thank you for the picture

You are correct Photo does not read the XMP sidecar file that was created ACDSee and only uses the embedded Exif data,  I recommend using the Embed option within ACDSee as shown in this link

Hi Oilsoe!

Apologies if you already know this, but just to make things that much more confusing XMP metadata is not quite the same thing as EXIF metadata -- basically (but not exactly) EXIF metadata can be thought of as a subset of XMP metadata. Many (most?) RAW formats include at least a minimal set of embedded metadata that can be shown by Affinity Photo in the Studio > EXIF panel, but the only thing you can change or add is the EXIF "Description" field in its "Summary" view. The "All" & "Raw" views show all the embedded metadata in the file Affinity Photo can parse, along with the keys identifying which metadata 'family' they belong to, including XMP key/value pairs.

AP will preserve any embedded metadata in files stored in its native file format, although there is an all or nothing option to delete it in the EXIP panel (I think mislabeled in the tooltip as 'delete snapshot').

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7