You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Manager ?

4 minutes ago, retrograde said:

Maybe it's a preference?

Maybe it's a bug :)

I'll post that in the beta forum.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I don't think it's a bug, but something that may have accidentally been left out. There are some minor features not implemented in both operating systems. That might be one of them. I'm a Mac user too, and I don't have that option available either.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, MEB said:

This is currently implemented on the Windows versions only.

Ha! Who called it?! B|

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

11 hours ago, MEB said:

This is currently implemented on the Windows versions only. It's coming to Mac soon.

Hi MEB,

thanks for the explanation.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 1/17/2018 at 11:29 PM, retrograde said:

I sure wished the brushes stayed selected in the brush panel or rather highlighted. As soon as you click onto your document it goes away... and you have to guess which brush you're using.

I have this same problem. It is extremely frustrating!

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

6 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

I have this same problem. It is extremely frustrating!

Not being a programmer, but this one would seem to be an easy/quick fix... no? 

A brush icon remains highlighted until another brush icon gets clicked... the same way the layers panel works now would be perfect. Initially the layer is bright than fades somewhat but still remains highlighted.

Weird thing is the brush panel seems to work in draw persona but not in pixel persona. Hmmm...

7 hours ago, retrograde said:

Weird thing is the brush panel seems to work in draw persona but not in pixel persona. Hmmm...

That, I did not realize. Earlier when I mentioned that the selection to brushes disappear when changing personas and switching back, I didn't realize you meant a problem in the persona itself. I can confirm this issue.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Also beware that you don't delete a brush or category, because those don't come back. I learned this the hard way.

I recently lost the "color" and "brushes" panel in the Pixel Persona setting in Affinity Designer. They don't appear anymore. Is this what happened to you? I don't know what happened; my cursor got them all mixed up and then suddenly they disappeared. Do you know how I can get them back?

13 hours ago, flashgirl said:

I recently lost the "color" and "brushes" panel in the Pixel Persona setting in Affinity Designer. They don't appear anymore. Is this what happened to you? I don't know what happened; my cursor got them all mixed up and then suddenly they disappeared. Do you know how I can get them back?

I wish I did. This happened to me actually is the "Styles" tab. I'm sure that there is a way to reset everything, but I just don't know it.

36 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I wish I did. This happened to me actually is the "Styles" tab. I'm sure that there is a way to reset everything, but I just don't know it.

On Windows, the menu option ‘View > Studio > Reset Studio’ restores the default layout. I imagine it’s broadly similar on a Mac.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

On Windows, the menu option ‘View > Studio > Reset Studio’ restores the default layout. I imagine it’s broadly similar on a Mac.

Yes, and that is also for Mac, but that only resets the workspace and how tabs are arranged. It doesn't undelete anything that was deleted. I assume that would be in the folder directory somewhere.

24 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

It doesn't undelete anything that was deleted.

Oh, OK. It wasn't clear to me that you were talking about restoring deleted content rather than just restoring the layout.

The per-user support folders are in %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user or %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user on Windows, and somewhere within ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner or ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto on a Mac (but since I'm not a Mac user I'm not sure about the exact subfolder structure there).

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Oh, OK. It wasn't clear to me that you were talking about restoring deleted content rather than just restoring the layout.

Taking another look at Flashgirl's post, perhaps I misinterpreted.

The per-user support folders are in %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user or %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user on Windows, and somewhere within ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner or ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto on a Mac (but since I'm not a Mac user I'm not sure about the exact subfolder structure there).

Ah that's the one. It gets confusing because there is more than one "Library" folder. After that Designer folder, there is a Data folder and Container.plist. I'm not sure if it's safe to play around.

• 2 months later...

What more is there to say? I think the first half dozen posts covered everything.

Forum threads often wander off the original topic once the basics have been dealt with.

Alfred spacer.png

Looks like the first dozen post are confused about what a brush manager is and what it does. This selecting brushes one at a time and moving them to a new category is just painfully an old school way of doing things. I would like to select multiple brushes at once and move them to a category. 

• Staff

Hi TheFeralOne,
I agree the Brush Manager is a little limited - it's still the original implementation developed for the app. Unfortunately there was no time yet to review/expand it - the dev teams have been working on/improving other areas of the app (and on other projects as well). They will get to it eventually but you will have to be a little patient - they are working as fast as they can.

• 1 year later...

Even a simple window to batch delete/sort brushes would be nice. Currently they appear in whatever order they were installed. If you want to get rid of a bunch of collections you have to go one at a time with a lot of clicking. A drag and drop window for batch moving brushes to other collections would be nice too :)

I agree though that a collections functionality would be a good start.

Also, there should be a note if you try to install already installed brushes. Or, to automatically skip the already installed brushes if you try to install multiple collections.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)