You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand vector brush stroke

Is it possible to convert a stroke to a path/curve (expand a stroke) that isn't just a simple line?

I want to use a custom vector brush stroke - but I'm also having trouble with the built in "Assorted" brushes. Example: post-58870-0-87506700-1494433055_thumb.png  

Steps I take:

1. Create object.
  2. Apply an interesting brush stroke (either an installed vector stroke or the built in ones under "assorted").
  3. Convert object to curves.
  4. Expand stroke.
  5. Nothing happens.

I found this post from 2015, has anything changed in the last 19 months?

Thanks!

Hi a3k4,

This hasn't changed. The only vector brushes you can expand are the basic ones with a pressure profile applied. And these generate an insane amount of vector points so only use when really necessary.

The vector brush strokes are bitmaps that conform to a vector curve. At present, Affinity doesn't trace bitmaps. There are quite a few apps that do, costing between $0 - $7, and its probably a better choice to use those rather than have Serif spend time duplicating them rather than adding valuable features like symbols and constraints.

Just an observation on my part. I don't often see a need for such a conversion. If I want "naturalistic" strokes, it seems starting w. bitmap samples, and smoothly interpolating them will give good output, thats the way to go. The possibility of large number of geometric variations is fascinating, but having on hand a 100 thousand bitmaps that can be attached to a stroke seems a decent substitution.

Also, try messing around with the stroke pressure variable. The vector outline can be made quite complex for any single curve, and groups of curves can have large variations.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet