You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to show red overlay when masking

Hi,

when editing a mask, how can I see the actual mask as a red overlay? When I click on the squre-with-circle icon in the toolbar, the entire photo gets a red overlay, regardless the mask.

An option-click shows the mask in black & white but then the image content goes away. I've tried all kinds of shortcuts and menus.

How can I see the mask AND my image at the same time?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi user_0815,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use the Quick Mask mode (press Q) to achieve what you want when creating a mask from scratch. Currently it's not possible to display the overlay to edit existing masks. This was requested a couple times already and hopefully will be considered by the dev team for a future update.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That's a really needed feature for me too. Looking forward to seeing it in the upcoming update.

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, MEB said:

Hi TimoF,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Press Q or click/enable the Quick Mask icon in the main toolbar (icon looks like a white square with a circle in the middle).

Sadly it still won't show an overlay for the existing mask. It's been almost 3 year now since this question was asked :(

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

1 hour ago, Xzenor said:

Sadly it still won't show an overlay for the existing mask. It's been almost 3 year now since this question was asked :(

For that, use Layer > Refine Mask...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the clarification, Miguel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Admittedly, an imperfect solution. But, you might want to try this:

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, Xzenor said:

Affinity Photo is a workflow killer.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, VanessaPhoto said:

I’ve been trying to figure this out since I got Affinity.. it’s so frustrating! I hope they add this feature soon!🙏🏼

The opening-post is from May 2017... So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...