You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipped highlights highlighting feature for photo persona

The "Show clipped highlights" in the develop persona is great for judging over exposed backgrounds in product photos. It would be great if it was available in the photos persona so I could use it non-destructively. I see how it feels more at home in the develop persona, but I can't see why it isn't just as broadly useful with the non destructive adjustment tools. After all they are just as capable of saturating.

• 4 months later...

Hello Lingwood,

I completely agree with you! And of course showing clipped shadows and intermediate colours too.  I have searched in vain for this feature in the Photo persona and I can't understand why it hasn't been included.  If any knowledgeable people are reading this, it would be nice to know the reason.  Or perhaps there's another method?

Hi owenr.  I enquired about a month ago if this feature existed but, after trying it, wasn't really satisfied with the Develop Persona response for my use, which is the old "scan all the old family photos from 40-60 years ago and stick them up on a web gallery for sharing" project.

On Sunday evening (remarkable timing, eh?), while following another topic, I came across a post about the Blend Options and dug in a bit.  I had a lightbulb moment when I realised I could do what you have illustrated here.  What I did though, to warrant this me-too post, is I came up with a macro (attached below) which generates the same layer grouping you have done in your sample file.  The only serious problem with it is that I can't currently set two different colours.  Both layers were recorded with 0/255/0 green and I have to manually set the second to, for example, 255/0/0 red.

The other slight difference from your solution is that I set my Blend Options parameters to show shadow clipping in the range 0-1% and highlight clipping in 99-100%.  I hadn't realised that it would accept  values with decimal places and simply used integer values.  However, since my images are 8-bit/channel, that threshold corresponds to the top or bottom (1/100)*255=2.55 levels - and I think can happily live with that for my current project.  (I can see how you'd want better granularity with 16-bit/channel images.)

Hopefully my sample macro will allow anyone to recreate their own version with different threshold values, if you like the convenience of a macro and other values suit you better.

I haven't bothered with the 1.6 beta, but I hope it will allow improved parameter capturing when producing macros.  Fingers crossed!

SHOW Highlights & Shadows 1%.afmacro

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Hi Gary,

Me too!  Macros are definitely the way to go.  I did add one extra feature to my "Clipping" group, and that is a soft proof adjustment which should show any out of gamut colours which are not extremes.  It can be set to whichever gamut the picture is destined for e.g. sRGB for the web, or the icc profile of my own monitor to see what it misses when I go editing in curves for example.