You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello guys.

I bought both AP and AD a few month ago, I felt they are so unique from Adobe products but I'm actually liking it.

I would like to draw characters like Shopkins with AD(image bellow).
I quite like how much I can control AD's stroke, like brush width. So I would like to keep it,

But once I apply Inner Glow Layer Effect, it covers the stroke as well.

Is there any way to apply Layer Effect without stroke?

Using LayerEffects>outline instead of Stroke seems do the trick but I can't control width like stroke.

Separating strokes and fill, or Expanding Stroke are the last option

because I want to modify the shape until last moment.

I tried Symbol but I couldn't separate stroke and fill.

Char01_0.png

I found this comment, but I really can't find how to achieve it.

"Yes, in other apps you usually use just the path structure as a clipping path. However in Affinity Designer you can choose between the shape or the stroke which provides a few more options to get creative with masks."

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6738-trying-to-recreate-a-clipping-mask/

I attached files I'm working.

It would be nice if someone gives me your knowledge...Thanks in advance.

Icecream.afdesign

post-58697-0-95793300-1494254212_thumb.png

Hi jemmy,

I do not know if this solution can fulfill your expectations:
Copy the shape, paste it on itself, remove the effect "Internal glow" and make it transparent (keep only the outline).

post-37692-0-75057000-1494268781_thumb.png

Hi reglico, first of all, thank you so much for your response!

I do not have any Affinity User around me so I even don't know if it's silly question.

I assume your solution means dividing stroke and fill separately and work individually, which I saw in Youtube many people is doing that way.

I actuary tried that way but I gave up because every time when I edit the shape of curve, I need to do twice.

I'm planing to draw 200 characters, so I really want to make this workflow efficient.

But thank you for your opinion anyway. 

Hi jemmy. Welcome to the forums!  :)

Apologies if I have misunderstood the effect you are looking for, but I think the Shopkins character is not using a glow effect. Instead, it looks like a number of un-stroked shapes, some with gradient fills, have been used to create the shiny highlights & lighting effect.

Something similar might work for you. For example, instead of using an Inner Glow, applying an elliptical gradient fill using AD's Fill Tool may work for you:

post-3524-0-18171900-1494320501_thumb.jpg

Icecream 2.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R, Thanks for your response!

Yes, I understood Shopkins is actually achieved with multiple shapes inside.

I will not exactly copy this character so it's okay, I was meaning the stroke is not catch any effect from inside,

like other cartoon characters(black stroke with ton's of effect inside)

Just wonder how to achieve it with AD, hopefully not duplicating curves.

And yes, I noticed gradient tool can put the effect without ruining the strokes

but it can only draw liner or oval ramp. It's okay for ice-cream,

but I need to draw a bit complicated characters in a future.

Sound like AD has no ability to control

-LayerEffect applies only Fill

-Using curve for stroke, reuse that curve for masking fill layer(but keep syncing these curves)

-LayerEffect Outline with Size variance control, applying Textured Brushes

I really like AD, ability of LayerEffect, how much I can do without duplicating layers.(we used to duplicate layers for shadows, glows, etc)

I just need one small checkbox, "apply only fill"!

Symbols give you a possible work around…

1. Create your shape, and give it a fill but no stroke.

2. Create a Symbol from this shape.

3. Make a new instance of the Symbol, turn off Sync, and give it a Stroke but no Fill.

4. Add layer fx such as inner glow to the filled version (ensuring that Sync is off).

5. If you need to edit the shape, turn Sync on and both copies will be modified.

post-43096-0-40007200-1494354154_thumb.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

jemmy,

I do not see any way around using multiple shapes if you are creating anything as complex as the Shopkins character. But if you are intent on using an inner glow effect on something as simple as your ice cream bar shape & want its stroke to be unaffected by the glow, maybe this will work for you:

Make the bar's fill color white & apply the Inner Glow effect using the Center setting instead of the Edge one, the color you originally used for the bar's fill as the color of the effect, & the blend mode set to normal -- basically, swap the colors for the fill & the glow.

post-3524-0-46252400-1494355831_thumb.jpg

The glow will not follow the contours of the stroke (which is what I think you want) but to my knowledge no inner glow effect does that, since it is a radius based effect. That would be true even if there was a checkbox to apply the glow only to the fill.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I actuary tried that way but I gave up because every time when I edit the shape of curve, I need to do twice...

There can be layers w. just fills and layers w. just strokes than can have their shapes outline adjusted all at once. Make a shape. Duplicate. Duplicate, etc. Use different fills, fx. Make different strokes. Select all layers, and using the node tool, select and move node(s) and all layer objects will change shape together. 

But the node controls don't change all at once.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I am glad you are happy with using symbols for this but you might consider making a feature request for adding an "apply only to fill" checkbox to the inner glow effect anyway.

Affinity Photo