You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP] Achieving a Crosshatch Effect and Brush Question

I am trying to create a crosshatch effect in Affinity Photo (1.5.2, Mac). I am using a custom brush that I created that paints a vertical line. I rotate the canvas to the angle of the crosshatch I want. However the brush stays in the same orientation (vertical). What is the best way to achieve this effect? Is there a way to force a brush to follow the orientation of the canvas?

Also is there a way to keep a brush's spacing the same when increasing the size? Thanks.

Hi gsk :)

The brush will remain vertical despite the orientation of the canvas, I would suggest perhaps creating a custom style with the crosshatch effect rather than changing the brush stroke individually. 

• Insert a quick shape 
  • Click the Gradient tool
  • Select 'Type' at the top and then select 'Bitmap'
  • This will open finder, select an image of the texture you wish to use, for example an image of a crosshatch pattern, and click Open
  • This will insert the image inside the quickshape, use the node tools within the shape to alter the positioning of the image. (you can also use the 'Extend' tab across the top)
  • Once your happy with shape, right click it and click 'Create Style' 

You can now access the style from the Styles tab and apply this to your lines/brush. I hope this helps!

Thanks for a quick reply JFisher. The bitmap gradient is not quite what I'm trying to achieve. What I want is to be able to control the angle of the brush with my stylus (I have modified the Rotation and Rotation Jitter options [direction, angle, tilt] in the brush edit panel). I use a Wacom Intuos. But no matter what direction the canvas or stylus I can't get the brush to be oriented in the direction I want. It seems like a very basic way of controlling the brush tool. I have to manually change the angle every time I want to change the direction of the hatch, which is both inefficient but inaccurate as well.

Does AP not really support Wacom or other drawing tablets very well at this point?

Is there something else I need to do to calibrate the tablet with AP?

Thanks!