You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I've just downloaded the free trial for Affinity Designer on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 3. I've got the i7 model (4650U integrated graphics) with 8gb ram and I'm experiencing some fairly substantial lag when playing around with a single art board and a handful of photos. It is frequently generically laggy and the program has frozen as 'not responsive' 9 times in 30 mins. It recovers from the not responsive state relatively quickly (maybe 2-5 seconds). 

To test the demo, in total, I have:

- 7 elipse shapes, each masking a photo from Unsplash (all seven total 57mb in file size)

- 1 rectangle shape

- 2 text fields

I'm doing all this in the 'draw' persona, meaning the photos are at full res if you zoom in enough, despite being scaled down significantly to fit onto the screen. 

Have I got some random setting accidentally on overdrive, or is the testing build simply buggy and therefore not representative of the final product? Any ideas? The surface typically handles large PS files fine. 

Cheers,

Jordan

• Staff

Hi Jordan,

Welcome to the forums.

The trial is the full version, just limited to 10 days use. Check the View Quality setting in Preferences > Performance, if it isn't, set it to Nearest Neighbour. Also try closing the Layers panel to see if this improves the performance.