You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I just ended my Photoshop Creative Cloud subscription and now I'm trying to get started with Affinity Photo.

In Photoshop I was used to do a selection and then fill this selection using the bucket.

In Affinity Photo I'm trying the same (in a pixel layer) . But with no success.

Any hints?

AaaaJeeee

• Staff

Hi AaaaJeeee,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After creating the selection, change to the Flood Fill Tool (bucket), set the Tolerance in the context toolbar to 100% and click once inside the selection (don't drag otherwise you change the tolerance again). If it still doesn't work can you please attach a screenshot of the application with the Layers panel visible please so we can see what you are doing?

Here's how to attach an image/file just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Well I just had a weird experience with flood fill. It went like this:

1. I drew a C-shaped arc in black with a brush.

2. I used the magic wand to select the C. The entire C was outlined and nothing but the C.

3. I grew the marquee by 1 pixel.

4. I selected the flood fill tool.

5. I clicked inside the C-shaped object, clearly within the boundaries of the marquee.

Nothing happened. It did not fill.

I was finally able to fill the marquee when I accidentally clicked centrally within the C. That is, imagine completing the C to make an O and clicking the center of the O. I clicked no where in or near the marquee, but it flood-filled the 1-pixel-grown marqueed C and nothing else when I did so.

(Using Affinity Photo 1.6.7 on MacOS 10.12.6.)

3 hours ago, jtlapp said:

3. I grew the marquee by 1 pixel. 

If I use Select > Outline (Alignment Outside) I can replicate what you have described

If I use Select > Grow / Shrink it works as I would expect it to work

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Can you do a screen/video recording on your computer?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, toltec said:

Shift + F5 although you could change it if you want.

In the menu it is Edit > Fill 

This needs to be a thing in Designer too. I am constantly using the cmd/alt-del shortcut to fill selections. I don't see any options for it, even in the pixel persona. I don't want to be constantly fiddling with the tolerance slider.

• 2 years later...

@MEB Have just tried to fill a selection on a Pixel layer using 'Fill with Primary Colour' and also 'Fill with Secondary colour', and neither option works. The only option that works is the 'Fill...'. option.

On top of that, even though I have a shortcut configured (Option + Backspace) for 'Fill with Primary Colour', not only does it not fill the selection, but it completely deletes the layer.

There are so many issues with basic AP tools and functionality that it's starting to make me regret getting rid of my Adobe subscription.