You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default font settings for Text Tools

Hi, guys!

I was just wondering if there is a way to set a font (with size and other settings) for both Artistic Text Tool / Frame Text Tool as a default on Designer and Photo.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards.

• 3 years later...

Same here - each time i want to type (text layer) it reverts to certain font and white color. I have to edit, cant it just remember last setting or some default setting that I can save?Same here - each time i want to type (text layer) it reverts to certain font and white color. I have to edit, cant it just remember last setting or some default setting that I can save?

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2017 at 4:28 PM, Lee D said:

Hi Mithferion,

Set your desired font, size etc and click on Edit > Defaults > Save

This doesn't do anything for me - I made one text layer/element, adjusted everything and saved as stated - then I create another text-instance(just clicking an blank spot with the text tool) and it still reverts to Arial 12. Do I need to restart? Can the standards/defaults be checked somewhere? 

Try

Edit > Defaults > Synchronise from Selection

Then

Edit > Defaults > Save

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried all the above suggestions to change the default text font from Aerial, 12 pt, Black to a different font and it did not work at all. I currently have Affinity Photo Ver. 1.8.5.703 installed. Any suggestion? I was able to change the font globally with Ver. 1.7.

5 hours ago, tonghong said:

I tried all the above suggestions to change the default text font from Aerial, 12 pt, Black to a different font and it did not work at all. I currently have Affinity Photo Ver. 1.8.5.703 installed. Any suggestion? I was able to change the font globally with Ver. 1.7.

As the steps work for others (including me), could you perhaps record a video showing what you're doing? Perhaps we can see something you're doing differently.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 6:35 AM, tonghong said:

I'm having the same issue. I create a text insert using Artistic Text Tool, set the font size and style to what I want as default, then Edit > Defaults > Synchronise from section and Edit > Defaults > Save, and it saves the default correctly if I click an insertion point, but if I then drag a text insert to a different size the default is lost. Any text insert I then create 'defaults' to the last dragged insert size. Odd.

I've also tried the Text -> Text Styles -> Save Text Styles as Default approach to no avail.

57 minutes ago, colindun said:

Any text insert I then create 'defaults' to the last dragged insert size. Odd.

Not odd. The tool is simply remembering your last-used value. If you want to get back to your default, try Edit > Defaults > Revert.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, colindun said:

Thanks, but seems odd to me. If setting a default doesn't mean that it stays the default then having a save default function at all seems a bit pointless.

If you change to another font face, size and colour and type some text. Then you move to a new location and start to type some more text. Are you going to want the default or are you going to want the face, size and colour you set up?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For my usage in the situation I'm working in (annotating a web page design where I want all the captions and notes the same size and style), I'd want the default.

If I want a different size I can click and drag instead of clicking, and drag to select a different size. Makes sense to me, but I'm probably in a minority ;0)

5 minutes ago, colindun said:

For my usage in the situation I'm working in (annotating a web page design where I want all the captions and notes the same size and style), I'd want the default.

No, you would want to use a couple of Paragraph or Character Styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, colindun said:

Thanks, but seems odd to me. If setting a default doesn't mean that it stays the default then having a save default function at all seems a bit pointless.

It might be pointless if there was not a Revert Defaults option, but there is. Note that in all three Affinity apps you can customize the main toolbar to include a pair of Sync & Revert buttons, making it very easy to sync or revert whenever you want, even when there is a text cursor because you are in text edit mode. Because they are also menu commands, you can assign them keyboard shortcuts as well, but this has the disadvantage of limiting the available shortcuts to those that won't be interpreted as text input if you are in text edit mode.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi!

I have set defaults in my Affinity Publisher:  Edit > Defaults > Save

Is it possible to transform my defaults on other computer as well or I should set them again seperatly there?

I work on multiple computers.

Thank you!