You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why no Vector Eraser too in Affinity Designer ?

I do not understand why serif can have the Vector Eraser tool in Draw Plus X8. you can see it in my photo....

post-58396-0-35727900-1493989161_thumb.png

however did not include Vector Eraser tool feature in Affinity Design...

post-58396-0-23792600-1493989214_thumb.png

Is there any reason as to Why... Maybe someone At Serif Might know...

• Staff

Hi RaphLuna,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no reason at all other than Affinity Designer was coded from scratch and there wasn't yet time to include all common functionality you find in other software (Serif Plus line included).

We hope to cover some of the gaps as the move forward with the development.

Is a vector eraser included in the roadmap at this time?  iDraw/Graphic is a rather pathetic alternative to Designer but I find myself doing the Export/Import/Export/Import dance just to use Graphic's vector eraser.

Is a vector eraser included in the roadmap at this time?

I didn't see it on there the last time I looked, but there is at least a Knife Tool on the list (so we'll be able to erase part of a line by cutting it in two places and then deleting the newly isolated segment).

To erase a section of a closed shape, I think the best we can currently do is draw an erasing shape on top of the main shape, select both shapes and subtract.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:14 AM, Hokusai said:

That many? Wow.

If this feature is ever considered, I have a little thing to request with it; different erasing modes. Clip Studio Paint and Affinity Designer are my personal favorite drawing programs since they get most technical than any other I've used, and Clip has different ways to erase vectors. Check out this section of this video.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

LilleG,

You are completely right. Before we can start to think about options for a vector eraser, there has to be a vector eraser. I remember that you posted before about Graphic's vector eraser tool and I agree with you 100%. I used it when it was iDraw and it did work well. While the rest of the app wasn't nearly as smooth nor as polished as Designer, the vector eraser tool worked remarkable well. 

Hokusai

LilleG,

You are completely right. Before we can start to think about options for a vector eraser, there has to be a vector eraser. I remember that you posted before about Graphic's vector eraser tool and I agree with you 100%. I used it when it was iDraw and it did work well. While the rest of the app wasn't nearly as smooth nor as polished as Designer, the vector eraser tool worked remarkable well. 

Hokusai

That's the only thing I use it for since I bought Designer.  If and when we get an eraser, I will probably uninstall it.  It is terribly clunky compared to Designer.

LilleG,

Hokusai

I do have interest in Graphic (the new name of iDraw), but I don't know if I would use it for other cases than for the sake of using the eraser and getting some basic free-form lineart down. Therefor, I'm a little afraid to try it out, and because there is no trial.

Those options would be extra nice to have but for now, I'd be happy just to have a basic vector eraser like Graphic's.

That is understandable. Everything in that video can be done with the regular eraser anyway with the right size.

Let's hope it means that they are feverishly working to finish and release Betas 1.6.

That could very well be the case.

In a conversation on the topic on smoothing some time ago, I made a suggestion for brush stabilization and how it might help. That is why I was so shocked to see the 1.6 sneak peek on brush stabilization. Long requested features may still arrive.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

bleduc,

I bought the version of iDraw right before they sold it to Autodesk so I don't know if it changed much after Autodesk got a hold of it but it pretty much underwhelmed me. The only thing that impressed me was the vector eraser. As LilleG pointed out it feels clunky and there are many things missing. In my opinion you can't even compare Designer and Graphic (iDraw) as they aren't in the same category. Graphic (iDraw) seems to me to be something for basic consumers or hobbyists who only need the absolute bare minimum. I also don't have much confidence in Autodesk to do anything worthwhile with it either. In my opinion, Affinity Designer is miles ahead of Graphic and I much prefer to support the developers here than a greedy money grubbing group like Autodesk (or Adobe). 

Hokusai

Huh...then maybe it's not worth it after all. It would be like paying $30 just for an eraser tool, but I wonder if there is a free alternative I can use just to copy and paste files throughout programs like what is achieved in Autodesk and Affinity. It just wouldn't be worth paying for something I would hardly use.

I wouldn't consider it worth it just for the eraser tool.  I bought it back when it was iDraw and prolly the best affordable vector app at the time.  That, of course, was before Affinity blew us out of the water with Designer!