You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 9/5/2017 at 3:42 PM, DmitryG said:

Hi Bill, I create illustrations for stock sites (Shutterstock, iStock, Fotolia and many others) entirely in Affinity Designer (since March 2017). I don't use Adobe Illustrator or any other vector editors no more. I can not say about gradients and transparency because I use only flat colors - and all works fine. Now a little about my workflow:

1) You can see my export options on screenshot attached.

2) Sometimes Shutterstock by mistake doesn't accept my illustration saying "EPS Format -- EPS file must be compatible with Illustrator version 8 or 10", so I upload it without changing anything once or at most twice again (without choosing "Previously submitted content" from "Notes for Reviewer" dropdown) - and they accept it.

3) Importantly, I use vector canvas 400 px on the largest side and 400 px or fewer on the smallest side, otherwise they say at Shutterstock that the canvas is too big or too small (see about this requirement in this article).

4) EPS created in Affinity Designer is small compared to the one created in Adobe Illustrator, so some microstock sites check it's size and give the error message. So, to get illustration accepted on all sites, I add some abstract text into the EPS file to grow it's filesize. I attached here the file with my "text for size". I open EPS with text editor (I use Notepad++).

5) I use Irfan View instead of Adobe Bridge to add metadata for JPG files.

So, Affinity Designer is the best choice for me. It's so cheap compared to Adobe Illustrator. Moreover, it's faster, more handy and more customizable. Additionally, Affinity Designer is great for isometric illustrations. You can look at my portfolio at Shutterstock.

Screenshot 2017-09-05 11.54.38.png

textForSize.eps 681.44 kB · 30 downloads

stock-photo-circular-maze-with-way-from-center-to-exit-on-turquoise-blue-background-problem-confusion-and-680517139.jpg

stock-photo-isometric-abstract-simple-hourglass-with-yellow-sand-on-turquoise-blue-background-with-drop-shadow-665083645.jpg

stock-photo-isometric-red-unique-chain-link-strength-power-and-leadership-concept-flat-design-670698145.jpg

stock-vector-modern-small-house-with-veranda-garden-flower-beds-bench-and-fir-trees-real-estate-and-home-646285513.jpg

stock-vector-unique-positive-smiling-wall-outlet-and-many-ordinary-gray-ones-mood-and-energy-concept-flat-699102622.jpg

Hello DmitryG, i have same issue with size for microstock upload like freepik my design .eps file size is too small, may you tell us how to increase the size of .eps step by step using notepad ++?

9 hours ago, Ikhsan Saputro said:

Hello DmitryG, i have same issue with size for microstock upload like freepik my design .eps file size is too small, may you tell us how to increase the size of .eps step by step using notepad ++?

Hello Ikhsan Saputro! I think, Lagarto gave the step by step instruction for you)

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, DmitryG said:

Hi Bill, I create illustrations for stock sites (Shutterstock, iStock, Fotolia and many others) entirely in Affinity Designer (since March 2017). I don't use Adobe Illustrator or any other vector editors no more. I can not say about gradients and transparency because I use only flat colors - and all works fine. Now a little about my workflow:

1) You can see my export options on screenshot attached.

2) Sometimes Shutterstock by mistake doesn't accept my illustration saying "EPS Format -- EPS file must be compatible with Illustrator version 8 or 10", so I upload it without changing anything once or at most twice again (without choosing "Previously submitted content" from "Notes for Reviewer" dropdown) - and they accept it.

3) Importantly, I use vector canvas 400 px on the largest side and 400 px or fewer on the smallest side, otherwise they say at Shutterstock that the canvas is too big or too small (see about this requirement in this article).

4) EPS created in Affinity Designer is small compared to the one created in Adobe Illustrator, so some microstock sites check it's size and give the error message. So, to get illustration accepted on all sites, I add some abstract text into the EPS file to grow it's filesize. I attached here the file with my "text for size". I open EPS with text editor (I use Notepad++).

5) I use Irfan View instead of Adobe Bridge to add metadata for JPG files.

So, Affinity Designer is the best choice for me. It's so cheap compared to Adobe Illustrator. Moreover, it's faster, more handy and more customizable. Additionally, Affinity Designer is great for isometric illustrations. You can look at my portfolio at Shutterstock.

Screenshot 2017-09-05 11.54.38.png

textForSize.eps 681.44 kB · 35 downloads

stock-photo-circular-maze-with-way-from-center-to-exit-on-turquoise-blue-background-problem-confusion-and-680517139.jpg

stock-photo-isometric-abstract-simple-hourglass-with-yellow-sand-on-turquoise-blue-background-with-drop-shadow-665083645.jpg

stock-photo-isometric-red-unique-chain-link-strength-power-and-leadership-concept-flat-design-670698145.jpg

stock-vector-modern-small-house-with-veranda-garden-flower-beds-bench-and-fir-trees-real-estate-and-home-646285513.jpg

stock-vector-unique-positive-smiling-wall-outlet-and-many-ordinary-gray-ones-mood-and-energy-concept-flat-699102622.jpg

Hello DmitryG, thank you for your detailed instruction. Please, could you tell what's about element arrangements? Because when I open Affinity EPS file in Adobe Illustrator, all my groups of elements merge in one group. Total mess T___T 

1 hour ago, rinrin said:

Hello DmitryG, thank you for your detailed instruction. Please, could you tell what's about element arrangements? Because when I open Affinity EPS file in Adobe Illustrator, all my groups of elements merge in one group. Total mess T___T 

Hello rinrin! If illustration is quite simple (which is the case for me), then I think it's not a problem. But with complex illustrations it's a real problem. Sometimes I created illustration in Affinity, exported it to eps, then opened the eps file in Adobe Illustrator, made groups and layers anew and resaved it. Of course, it means double work with groups and layers.

3 hours ago, DmitryG said:

Hello rinrin! If illustration is quite simple (which is the case for me), then I think it's not a problem. But with complex illustrations it's a real problem. Sometimes I created illustration in Affinity, exported it to eps, then opened the eps file in Adobe Illustrator, made groups and layers anew and resaved it. Of course, it means double work with groups and layers.

I see. When we finally can totally get rid of AI T___T And why most of stocks (except CM) are so attached to EPS and can not allow uploading other file formats..
Anyway, thanks for fast confirmation that there is really no way to group it properly without AI)