You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert selection into a path

Hi there,

i often need to convert pixel selections into a vector path. I know that Photoshop has the function. 

So im wondering, how i can do that in Affinity? 

At the moment i need to make a pixel selection with the tool to free the object or 

i draw a path manually around the object. What i need to do, is to create a pixel selection 

an convert it to a vector path... 

Ist this possible? If not, is there a workaround for this? 

thank you for a answer 

Licorne

Hi, Licorne,

At present, Affinity Designer doesn't have the function. It requires auto tracing, which is planned by v 2.0 according to the road map. 

Depending on what you are trying to do, using various pixel selection tools, and then using the refine edge command will allow output of separate layers, or masks fro the selection. Those can then be used for fx, adjustments and blends. But the shape will remain a fixed proportion.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

At present, Affinity Designer doesn't have the function. It requires auto tracing, which is planned by v 2.0 according to the road map. 

Thanks for your answer. Do you have any idea, when v.2.0 will be released ? 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @pluggedbean,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This feature is still not available. 
We don't publish the roadmap anymore. Check the Beta's release notes/logs for information about what's coming (in the Betas section of the Forums).

I do hope the devs over at Serif will consider this feature for the 1.x series. It's one of those things that I as a raster artist can't really live without. Currently I use Inkscape to compensate for this shortcoming in Affinity, but it would improve the workflow and overall value of Affinity Designer immensely from this single feature for what I like to do with vector art (i.e. converting my sketch drawings into something that can be reused to save a lot of time for a finished product). :)

Frozen Death Knight - I totally agree, and thank you for the info on inkscape! 

I have only been using Affinity design for a month or 2 now and must say I am really impressed so i'm not putting the product or team behind it down I just feel moving away from a very old application I was expecting this new modern day graphic application to pack more and better features than what i had with "Macromedia Fireworks" I really hope this feature will be considered in future releases.

• 4 months later...

For years I have been looking forward to leaving Adobe. But without this feature it is meaningless for me, it would only mean much much more work. Sometimes I forget how great actually Photoshop etc are, even though it is expensive and overcombined. I do wish Affinity had some really basic feature such as this.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, Jiri L said:

For years I have been looking forward to leaving Adobe. But without this feature it is meaningless for me, it would only mean much much more work. Sometimes I forget how great actually Photoshop etc are, even though it is expensive and overcombined. I do wish Affinity had some really basic feature such as this.

I'm also waiting this.  I already have one computer "Adobe free" and I'm quite happy with it.

• 2 months later...