You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, please have a look to the two attachements.

1. from tablet with sRGB...2.1 as PNG, the colors are ok!

2. as PSD/ sRGB...2.1; you see – I hope – the problem.

Is here someone understandig that?

EDIT: The mac/ View shows the PSD as the PNG.

Thanks

lars

hock-png.tiff  hock-psd.tiff

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

Hi, Lee. Here is the link, the file came direct from the tablet to the mac, it is not changed in: www.larshennings.de/hocker2.psd

It is made in Artflow on tablet Note 10.1-2014.

The PND is made there without any changing. The brown color (blue + orange) looks quite good, as before the bright blue is a little to direction cyan, but in this case not so much as in the skyblue before.

Regards

lars

• Staff

Hi lars,

I've opened the .PSD file and exported to .PNG, however both files look the same to me, see the attached screenshot. Can you provide a link to the original PNG file so I can compare it to mine.

post-22-0-60278600-1494414367_thumb.png

post-46354-0-78207700-1494416021_thumb.png

Hi Lee, here is the original PNG from the tablet. Please have a look to the brown color left side, which comes from deep blue plus a few orange, it is the same on the mac in View and Finder – only not in AP.

Best

lars

• Staff

I still can't reproduce the issue, I've opened the .PSD in PS and it displays and exports to a .PNG file exactly the same as Affinity Photo. Can you take me through the steps from the beginning starting with opening the .PSD in Affinity Photo. Can you also provide more information on the tablet you're referring to as the original PNG should be the one Affinity Photo is creating when you export the .PSD file.

As I showed in the first post I see a PNG coming from tablet in brown on the left side, in Viewer and Finder. That is the color I see the PNG and the original in Artflow at the tablet. And this brown is shown in AFlow importing its own PSD.

If exporting this PSD which looks not brown but green (blue + orange) from AP to mac and then copy it to the tablet and import it again to AF – the green looks brown again as before!

So I think the problem is that what A_B_C says one layer works not correct together with the other in AP, where blue + orange makes the known green. If you change the layer value (Blend) from NORMAL you see some other colors – but not brown. The same in AF – but not green...

So tablet, mac Viewer and mac Finder see brown in PNG and PSD and AP and PS green. Gimp 2.8.20 on my mac sees green in PSD and brown in the PNG as AP does.

So I can´t do something. Maybe it makes sense to talk with the ArtFlow maker, he knows about the issue.

Hope you will find out...

Thanks

lars

Hi Lee, after a sunny walk along the channel, thinking a little bit more to color theory, that blue and yellow makes green (and orange is not so far), it is clear for me, was some tests finished. Even if the mac can reproduce the brown.

AP colors are ok. If blue is RGB: 2, 61, 81 and orange: 255, 124, 0 and one make a line orange on blue in orange 10% opacity, 25, 50, 75, 100% one see it.

If the orange becomes brown the colors are not mixed, it is not the summ of the values blue and orange out of two layers.

The programm indeed knows what the underlying layers color is? Great.

Thanks

lars

thinking a little bit more to color theory, that blue and yellow makes green (and orange is not so far)

In a subtractive model (e.g. ink or paint on paper, where you're perceiving reflected light) blue and yellow make green, but in an additive model (e.g. on your computer monitor, where you're perceiving transmitted light) equal amounts of red and green make yellow, and more red with less green makes orange. Brown is simply dark yellow.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm the ArtFlow developer and I just want to chime in to explain the issue. ArtFlow has two rendering modes default which uses sRGB color space (similar to most graphic programs) and linear RGB (gamma=1) rendering mode (as supported by Krita and Photoshop). Lars've created image in ArtFlow using linear RBG exported it and got different result in AP due to difference in blending engine.

Note that blending in linear RGB color space is actually mathematically correct (as blending equation are defined in linear RGB color space), also is many instances it gives better visual result (here: http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/linear-gamma-blur-normal-blend.htmlis a bit of technical info if anyone is interested) but since it isn't widely supported  ArtFlow has this setting off by default.

Ja, but while painting on the tablet it is good to see as I do it on paper. But it is ok to get green, as in AP, if the color is opacity, and brown in AF. One must know...

On paper there are two ways too: mixing colors or paint the second over a first dry paint. So I know now to look to AP if printing and if necessary to change the color therein or on the tablet.

Regards

lars

In general, you must have in mind that layer blend modes work differently in RGB and CMYK. You can easily check this by creating a document with two overlapping shapes in RGB mode, apply a blending mode to the upper one, and change the color mode of the document from RGB to CMYK.

So in order to preserve a consistent workflow, you should perhaps stay in one color mode.

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex 

post-1198-0-58121700-1494486586_thumb.png

post-1198-0-85164700-1494486591_thumb.png

RGB.afdesign

CMYK.afdesign

EDIT: but in 32 bit RGB there is "my" brown! Wonder over wonder.

Thanks, A_B_C, but I don´t change the RGB. And in the pics above it makes no big difference. But it is good to know for more tries...

Regards

lars

Hi, no, not about colors again... About calibration!

There is a little tool to calibrate monitors of Android, Mac (and windows I believe).

I was astonished to see no change in tablet and smartphone after used it.

But then I saw it on my mac what was the reference till now for me – I calibrated it some times with the intern tool. The screen became a little more red, to see in white (and reading and scrolling makes the black letters red while moving). But after a moment it is not seen in grey for me (RGB 124).

And now the sky blue is on both Android and Mac (incl. AP) nearly the same.

There are no prints to this time but I think it will work.

Regards

lars