You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AutoTrace (convert raster image to vector)

+1

Up to now, my opinion is that CorelDRAW  has the most precize tracing engine. But, unfortunatelly, as you now, this is a Win app.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff

+1

Up to now, my opinion is that CorelDRAW  has the most precize tracing engine. But, unfortunatelly, as you now, this is a Win app.

Interesting to know peoples usage of other tracing engines. In my experience the Corel version is compromised so it would be great to see your results. 

For those who use tracing occasionally or who have a case where your usual tool isn't producing the results you need, VectorMagic is available to use online. You purchase token packs, in groups of five, at a reasonable cost. You get 2 free tokens just for signing up. Or you can pay $7.95 per month if you need traces more often. The on line service is more limited in terms of output formats but then again, it doesn't cost $300.00. I have not yet used VectorMagic but their results on the website site look impressive. Until AD has a tracing feature this might be an alternative for those not happy with their current tool.

+1 for me as well. I usually do hand drawn pieces that I scan and convert to vector before processing in AD. At this point I have to rely on Inkscape (which does a fantastic job), but would love to be able to limit myself to the Affinity suite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used Inkscape for a long time and bitmap tracing is where many of my projects start since I have to produce in-house menu icons/UI bits based on a client's logo. Very often, the client has no idea where the vector original is (if it ever existed), or it would take ages to request and receive it, so tracing is a Godsend.

Please bump it up the development ladder so I can come over to Affinity Designer and not have to sit astraddle the fence.  :blink:

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo V2, Mac and iPad.

macOS Ventura 13.5.2; Macbook Pro (16-inch, Mid 2021); Apple M1 Pro, 10 cores; Graphics 16 cores; 16GB RAM;

iPad Pro 11 inch first gen

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the Affinity Designer app so far, but the inclusion of vector conversion is essential. The "convert to curves" option works for type, and that's great. I want to leave Adobe in the dust where they belong, but I won't be able to do that until something similar to "Live Trace" is part of Affinity Designer.

Also, I cannot WAIT for Affinity Publisher!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I, too, am disappointed by the absence of a Trace feature. Yes there are many third-party trace products on the market and online. I've tried almost all of them. But I keep returning to what began as an app called Streamline, which was integrated into Illustrator. Since I only START designing from a trace, an integrated trace feature in the vector app I'm using has the highest value for the convenience and ease of being able to make adjustments directly in the program I'm designing in.

It's a feature I'm willing to wait for and would win my loyalty for years to come. But, without it, I would eventually have to return to the evil company I hate that no longer deserves my loyalty, whose products have features I absolutely have to have. Too bad you can't partner up with Vector Magic, probably the best (albeit most expensive) trace engine on the planet or license its trace engine for integration so you wouldn't have the expense of building one.

A successful design niche for me has been performance water sports and single-design regattas where the sails, paddles, position in the water. etc must be accurate, or the design is compromised. Has the potential to put my clients' entire promotional products event campaigns at risk if nobody buys the products because the design doesn't represent the main subject of the event in an identifiable way. I'd be dead in the water (pun intended) without starting every design from a photograph trace!