You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AutoTrace (convert raster image to vector)

14 hours ago, Hmm said:

Bought the full pack during the holiday sale, wish I could get my money back since it's bonkers that Affinity isn't competing with Adobe on this feature.

I'm not going back to tracing with the pen tool, Affinity simply isn't an Illustrator competitor without this feature. 

Very disappointed, guess I'll fire up the app in 2021 and see if this nightmare of a thread has been addressed by the developers...

Agreed, however I've been learning my way around Designer and Publisher ever since I got them last month and think they have done the job well for my case scenario. However, there is a way to do an auto trace using Vectorizer or similar that others have mentioned. But I also found another workaround using Adobe Capture which you can use on iOS ( iPhone or iPad ) and then airdrop it as an SVG export. 

You can see the process I worked out at this thread I created: 

Hopefully this can be helpful and one day, Serif might be able to solve the problem that we all don't have to use external applications for the work arounds anymore by then. 

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias1972 said:

You can see the process I worked out at this thread I created: 

Well for a general workaround that would be too cumbersome for me (two different devices and then perform a data exchange between them), aka from the mobile device app exchange to the desktop app, where you finally want or need the vectors to work with then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

40 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well for a general workaround that would be too cumbersome for me (two different devices and then perform a data exchange between them), aka from the mobile device app exchange to the desktop app, where you finally want or need the vectors to work with then.

I totally understand where you're coming from. I had Illustrator and used auto trace when necessary which was super helpful especially when doing t-shirt art time to time or cleanly scale up an image. I used to go with Dropbox back then to shift files back and forth. When I got this new 4K iMac with Airdrop, everything became more seamless. I could draw an image in black and white on Procreate or similar, then create vector shapes on them via Adobe Capture and export straight to the desktop on Designer. I haven't tried exporting color shapes yet but will experiment. In extreme cases, I would move an image I needed 'tracing' from the desktop such as a bitmap file to Adobe Capture on my iPad and then Airdrop back out; or I could use Vectorizer if need be. For now, it works for me unless Serif finds a seamless process to do it within the app. 

So your main reason for using iPad apps here seems to be then, since you are either way drawing with some of those on the iPad then as a tablet. Otherwise I would say just use desktop apps for those tasks, especially the bitmap tracing/vectorization here, as far as you in the end use the desktop Affinity Designer app.

BTW, beside Adobe Capture or Vectorizer there is also Imaengine for the iPad and one or two other bitmap tracing apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

So your main reason for using iPad apps here seems to be then, since you are either way drawing with some of those on the iPad then as a tablet. Otherwise I would say just use desktop apps for those tasks, especially the bitmap tracing/vectorization here, as far as you in the end use the desktop Affinity Designer app.

BTW, beside Adobe Capture or Vectorizer there is also Imaengine for the iPad and one or two other bitmap tracing apps.

Well, I use iPad Pro for most of the drawing but sometimes I use the desktop with the Wacom tablet. However, I prefer the iMac because the 21 inch screen with 4K is easier on my eyes when I do vector work, especially with astigmatism and using the trackball mouse which makes it more efficient than the mouse, cutting down on RSI. The same goes with Affinity Publisher which I like and is close to my experience with InDesign. 

I also have Designer on my iPad as well but only if I have to use it 'on the go' and away from my studio. But that link to the vector app you showed me is interesting! I'm gonna go check it out.

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias1972 said:

...but sometimes I use the desktop with the Wacom tablet.

There are a bunch of quite good tracing tools/apps for the desktop too, so there (on the desktop) you won't need the iPad just in order to trace some bitmaps into vectors then. You can do all on the iMac instead.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, v_kyr said:

You can do all on the iMac instead.

Using mac camera is a bit cumbersome so iphone route would be ok.... but I cannot save from Capture to any meaningful location. Should I start CCloud account and would it allow moving files to desktop?

I don't use Adobe Capture on iPad/iPhone so you have to ask the OP, but AFAIK that Adobe app always needs a Adobe creative cloud storage place for exchange.

... 2 GB FILE STORAGE

The free Creative Cloud basic subscription includes 2 GB of storage space for syncing and sharing files.  MORE STORAGE (optional in-app purchase)

You can book 20 GB of additional Creative Cloud storage for $ 1.99 per month. The regular fee is automatically debited from your iTunes account. ...

Thus it's too unflexible for my purposes and would make one dependent on Adobe cloud here then.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

Using mac camera is a bit cumbersome so iphone route would be ok.... but I cannot save from Capture to any meaningful location. Should I start CCloud account and would it allow moving files to desktop?

I use the iPhone camera only since the lens are better than the original iPad Pro I have. You would need an Adobe ID, not a CC account, which is free similar to Behance. To move files to the desktop from the iOS app, all you need to do is use AirDrop to export the SVG directly from the app and it's much faster than using Dropbox as the 'go around' ( although it's an option ). You could optionally save the files on the Creative Cloud account but I don't do it exclusively as I'm now on the Photoshop plan for $10 a month for 20 GB storage until I acquire Affinity Photo or such to completely close out the CC subscription since I already have Designer and Publisher. 

You can also save the files from Adobe Capture in Files or as a photo image. Again, you're not required to save the files in the Adobe Library or Cloud storage. I use the free CC account since I have no intention of storing files on their cloud but only export or save on my devices and desktop. It's the same as I would treat my iTunes music library to keep it 'in house' rather than saved on the cloud which I don't trust. 

16 hours ago, Ozymandias1972 said:

use AirDrop to export the SVG directly from the app and it's much faster than using Dropbox as the 'go around' ( although it's an option ). You could optionally save the files on the Creative Cloud account

OK I found the way. Somehow saving directly from processed image is possible only to CCloud (also export to Illustrator and PS is available), but there is Library/Resources view which allows saving to dropbox or airdrop.

Quality of the vectorizer is not like in Illy :3_grin:

11 hours ago, Fixx said:

OK I found the way. Somehow saving directly from processed image is possible only to CCloud (also export to Illustrator and PS is available), but there is Library/Resources view which allows saving to dropbox or airdrop.

Quality of the vectorizer is not like in Illy :3_grin:

There you go :). Dropbox or Airdrop will work fine either way. If I recall, you can export the file in any format you want but SVG is the way to go for vector projects. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fantomas.CZ said:

using line art from old books and (auto)making vector art of it is much better than any other way

...especially as Affinity applications do not support line art. Autotrace would be working solution around that obstacle for some users.

+1 for me.  I sort of can't believe this feature wasn't included some time ago.... (thread started in 2014?)  I've run into this because I want to place some of my older analog stuff on Society6, and ultimately I want to scale things up.  If anyone has alternatives to the Adobe Capture method... I'd love to hear them.    Thanks. 

16 hours ago, lkeyes said:

I sort of can't believe this feature wasn't included some time ago.... (thread started in 2014?)

This was also asked by someone at Affinity 5 years ago:

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 3:55 AM, TonyB said:

What would be helpful is if people post images of what they would like to trace and a result of what the currently expect the output to look like.

But I don't see any.

If anyone has alternatives to the Adobe Capture method... I'd love to hear them.

Quite suitable alternatives have been mentioned repeatedly in these threads requesting yet another autotrace feature.

JET

5 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Quite suitable alternatives have been mentioned repeatedly in these threads requesting yet another autotrace feature.

I want to add a link to another (recent) thread that provides a (for some working) solution to autotrace:

Even though I would like to see this feature eventually being part of AD (and hopefully in a superior way) this is one of the things I for now can easily get done with other solutions. So, I do not miss it at all (in AD).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

20 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

This was also asked by someone at Affinity 5 years ago:

But I don't see any.

JET

Dear Jet,

THX for the answers and "yes" asked at affinity "already" 5 Years ago from others.

Does that means that we should not ask again for it? ... or that we should give up hoping to have this tool into AD ??

Alternatives are fine and some are working well, no discussion.... but I don't like to open other applications or apps an export and Import files from here to there.

... specially having such a professional tool like I have here with AD.

So, I still stay in hope that Serif see and understand that this will be a very very nice Update for many of us. Keep my finger crossed :)

BR

Earlier in this very thread (red emphasis mine):

On 7/28/2014 at 3:51 AM, MattP said:

Tracing will come in the future - but it will be a new 'Persona' (one of the main buttons along the top left of the window) so that it can have its own UI and tools. We have a fair few ideas for this - not just the obvious... :) It's not coming any time soon though, I'm afraid to say...

This, along with many other essential missing features, are available in the Serif Plus range of software.

I enjoy the affinity suite but we nearly always get 80% through a project before we have to abandon it and revert back to Serif programs for things like: Vector Trace, Knife Tool, Contouring, Data Merge, Vector Smart Flood and many more.

8 hours ago, spidermurph said:

This, along with many other essential missing features, are available in the Serif Plus range of software.

I enjoy the affinity suite but we nearly always get 80% through a project before we have to abandon it and revert back to Serif programs for things like: Vector Trace, Knife Tool, Contouring, Data Merge, Vector Smart Flood and many more.

Hi....just did a quick search on the Serif Plus, but the web pages appear to show a version from 2012 or so, and only for Windows.  Are there updated versions?     

In the meantime,  per posts in this thread, I'm using Adobe Capture.  (which is a little ironic....since I'm using it to work in Affinity, and avoid CC).    
Thanks to those who suggested Adobe Capture.  

On 2/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, spidermurph said:

Hi Ikeyes

This is the last and latest version before the switched to Affinity.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00UYFVG54/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Considering we've stopped selling that product, I'm surprised to see someone offering it for sale on Amazon (note it's not Amazon selling this, it's someone called "Ok-James").