You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.5.2.66] Tablet Problems

• Staff

Hi everyone, 

This build includes support for high precision tablet input. We are now using features of the Wintab API which we weren't previously using, so driver problems may emerge that may have previously gone undetected. 

Wacom drivers have been known to exhibit problems if one is installed without uninstalling the previous one. 

If you experience tablet input problems in this build, please help us rule out this as a cause by uninstalling the Wacom driver and then reinstalling the latest driver.  

We will shortly be releasing a new build containing a preference to revert to the previous low precision tablet input method. 

Thanks, 

Jon

So glad to hear you are aware of the issue and you're already working on it!

I think Wacom's update does a fresh install cleaning up the old drivers, nonetheless when I'll get home I'll uninstall/re-install the drivers.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Uninstalled the old drivers did a clean up with CCleaner, installed the new ones. Unfortunately, the issue is still there.

I'll wait for the next beta.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

I notice that a few people are having issues with Wacom Tablets and Pens, most of these issues are caused by the drivers ... I guess that was a major factor in Microsoft dropping Wacom in favour of N-Trig.

Wacom Drivers have had a long history of having issues because of the way driver updates are applied ... the way to make sure that driver updates don't affect the stability of your Wacom tablet is to follow these simple steps every time you update your driver:

• Delete ALL user preferences using the Wacom Tablet File Preference Utility and select the Remove button in the "All User Preferences" section. Note that if you have Personal Preferences you can Backup and Restore using the same utility via the Backup and Restore buttons in the "My Preferences" section. Make sure you do the Backup before Removing all user preferences.
  • Uninstall the "Wacom Tablet" entry in the "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features".
  • Reboot
  • Install the current drivers
  • Reboot and, if necessary, restore any Personal Preferences using the Tablet File Preference Utility

NOTE: The important thing here is that the complete uninstall including the preferences. 

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I tested the beta version with no problems at all.  As i see always the same people have troubles .

Means : old Windows Versions , top of all the worst windows version if all Windows 8 !

There were allways update troubles in windows 8 , pease take a look at microsoft support cases.

Sometimes the updates are broken in Windows 8(8.1) so Microsoft left several Tips and ways to repair this.

I mean in Windows 10 all things run flawless, including the latest Wacom updates ! So i would recommend to install up to date windows versions.

So at this point, what was the reason to rewrite wacom pen input ? What should have been the benefits ?

As i can not see any problems with wacom input or nvidia graphics...why reverting the changes ?

AP 1.5.1 / 1.6.x.x BETA , C1 , Lenovo W541 , Wacom Intuos Pro (S / M (new))

I tested the beta version with no problems at all.  As i see always the same people have troubles .

Means : old Windows Versions , top of all the worst windows version if all Windows 8 !

There were allways update troubles in windows 8 , pease take a look at microsoft support cases.

Sometimes the updates are broken in Windows 8(8.1) so Microsoft left several Tips and ways to repair this.

I mean in Windows 10 all things run flawless, including the latest Wacom updates ! So i would recommend to install up to date windows versions.

So at this point, what was the reason to rewrite wacom pen input ? What should have been the benefits ?

As i can not see any problems with wacom input or nvidia graphics...why reverting the changes ?

Wow, i can only take your post as a big joke.

Wow, i can only take your post as a big joke.

No,  is it not. I do not have any Problems with my tablet or Nvidia Graphics with this Beta Version. But as i said, i have a up-to-date System.

• Staff

Hi abphoto, 

The reason we made these changes was to allow us to use input points direct from the tablet driver, instead of through the Windows mouse API. The benefits of this approach are: 

1. Increased input point precision, independent of screen resolution and zoom level.

2. Increased input point frequency (especially under load), resulting in smoother lines. 

We are reverting this feature because to make it work reliably, more extensive changes are needed, which we have decided are unsuitable for a minor patch.

The feature will hopefully appear in 1.6. 

No,  is it not. I do not have any Problems with my tablet or Nvidia Graphics with this Beta Version. But as i said, i have a up-to-date System.

Do you realized that Affinity Photo is for Win 7, Win 8.x and Win 10? Check it

Just because it works fine on Win10 now, dosent mean the software is falwless. If devepolers are saying that it can be used on Win 8 then i expect it to work on that system.

I find your post arrogant, Just because it works for you, dosent mean everyone else are not important anymore. How would you feel if from next update Win 7 and Win 8 AP will work like a charm, but Win 10 will be crashing and everyone will say "I dont care Win10 version dont work, because on mine win its working fine"

Every Windows had tons of bugs and fixes, you will see that Win 10 will have more fixes then Win 8 at some point. New system dosent always means better and new system dosent mean that previous is bad.

Hi abphoto, 

The reason we made these changes was to allow us to use input points direct from the tablet driver, instead of through the Windows mouse API. The benefits of this approach are: 

1. Increased input point precision, independent of screen resolution and zoom level.

2. Increased input point frequency (especially under load), resulting in smoother lines. 

We are reverting this feature because to make it work reliably, more extensive changes are needed, which we have decided are unsuitable for a minor patch.

Hi, ok i understand. Its a pity , but of course backwards compatibilty seems to be a great theme here!

Thank you for your information !

Do you realized that Affinity Photo is for Win 7, Win 8.x and Win 10? Check it

Just because it works fine on Win10 now, dosent mean the software is falwless. If devepolers are saying that it can be used on Win 8 then i expect it to work on that system.

I find your post arrogant, Just because it works for you, dosent mean everyone else are not important anymore. How would you feel if from next update Win 7 and Win 8 AP will work like a charm, but Win 10 will be crashing and everyone will say "I dont care Win10 version dont work, because on mine win its working fine"

Every Windows had tons of bugs and fixes, you will see that Win 10 will have more fixes then Win 8 at some point. New system dosent always means better and new system dosent mean that previous is bad.

Hi, yoy are right in some things. It was only a hint. I work since 15 years in Software Development mainly and had all those flaws of different windows versions to cover and live with it. Me and my collegues are very happy with W10 , as it is   the first really smooth running system over the years from the start on. Of course you can stick with W7/8 as you like. But i still had problems with wacom on my w8.1 installs even a year ago...thats all , nice day !

The tablet input really needs a major overhaul. Currently (beta and stable version) it's definitely no fun to work with Affinity Photo and a Wacom tablet. Here are my major concerns:

1. Why does the pointer turn into an arrow when I want to draw on the tablet using the pen? I always have to grab the mouse and move the pointer into the image and switch back to the pen in order to get the preview circle back.

2. When I'm drawing something on the tablet (for example a mask) Affinity frequently translates the input into random diagonal lines, sometimes these lines are only a few mm long but sometimes they spread over half the photo. Definitely no fun if you are masking a huge part of the image and you have to undo the last step because of such a randomly drawn line.

3. Input lags are also common, especially in the latest beta.

I don't think we can blame the Wacom drivers here because no matter what program I use the tablet input always works flawlessly (I tried Gimp, Paintshop Pro X9, Microsoft Paint). The only program that causes troubles with my tablet is Affinity Photo. If it was indeed a driver problem the described issues would also be present in other programs.

My system: Windows 10 Pro, Wacom Intuos Pro Small with latest drivers, fairly powerful PC with an AMD FX-8350 CPU, 32 GB of Ram and a Geforce GTX770 GPU.

Please fix the tablet input issue. Currently it's definitely no fun to use your software with a tablet. And tablet input is really important when it comes to exact retouching and other image editing that needs to be precise.

P.S. Let my know if you need more info, for example a screenshot or even a short video documenting the issues.

Here a few more infos concerning the tablet issues, maybe they can help isolating the cause:

In my above mentioned post I listed 3 main issues. 2 of them, the pointer issue (1) and the random diagonal lines (2) can be fixed by changing the input mode in the Wacom driver settings from pen to mouse mode. If in doubt what setting I'm talking about please take a look at the attached screenshot. Maybe this helps...

Oh, by the way, the latest beta has not improved concerning the described tablet issues, at least not for me. If anything it has become slightly worse.

post-57394-0-28365400-1495401225_thumb.png

Hi abphoto, 

I very much look forward for that final  rewrite once 1.6 becomes a final release. IMO, those changes listed above do seem to be very much needed. That together with stabilization could make a joy to use AP for drawing and painting.  :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Software's gotta update  :). I mean, if not would be a disaster... :) . There are some very old standing issues for really accurate and comfortable painting.  The rewrite, from what I read, has the full intention of addressing several of those issues (which many of us have been moa...er.. speaking about  ;) ). I mean, is the solution, surely. but any large revamp needs quite cooking, I guess.  I'm all for hard pre-alpha versions if it leads to help improving the thing...  (or set a group of hardcore users about wacom issues, so the rest would use a beta without those risky and less stable changes.... ;)   )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.