You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - Why does changing document DPI change rounded corner sizes?

Note: See below for update on 1.7.2.471, it's still happening.

Using AD 1.5.2.58 on Windows 10.

Is this a feature that I just don't understand or is it a bug?

If I have rounded corners on a shape and then reduce the DPI of the document, AD increases the rounding amount.

Workflow to replicate:
* Create new A4 300DPI document using points as the UOM.
* Add a triangle (any size will do) - actual shape doesn't matter but a triangle shows the issue nicely.
* Use the Corner Tool to give any (or every) corner a radius of 2pt.
* De-select and use Document Setup to change the DPI down to 72.
* Select the triangle.
* Go to Corner Tool.

The radius (wherever it was applied), in my case, has been changed from 2pt to 8.3pt. The 2pt value seems to have been increased by the same ratio between 72DPI and 300DPI, I.e. 300/72 = 4.16(recurring) and 2*4.16 = 8.3(recurring).

Increasing the document DPI from 72 back to 300 returns the corner radius back to its original value.

Have I just misunderstood how things work or is there something wrong? It just doesn't seem right to me.

This forum post: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12239-resizing-the-document-scales-the-radius-of-corners/?p=52905 seems to be about a similar thing but their use case is very different from my own.

Edited by GarryP
Added note to show 1.7.2 follow-up.

• 2 years later...

This is a bit of a ‘blast from the past’. Probably one of the first questions I asked on this forum.
I’ve just checked and the issue is still extant.
Attached are two screen-grabs, first at 300dpi, the second at 72 dpi. The pink squares show where the corners of the square are at 300dpi and you can see how the corners change after dpi goes to 72dpi. I’ve also attached the document (made with Designer 1.7.2).
I’m setting the sizes of the corners at Absolute sizes relative to the size of the document, not the amount of pixels/dots per inch, so I don’t understand why the sizes of the corners change when the dpi changes.

corners-changing-size-with-dpi.afdesign

corners-at-300dpi.png

corners-at-72dpi.png

On 5/3/2017 at 3:39 AM, GarryP said:

Have I just misunderstood how things work or is there something wrong?

At least for the file you attached, if I untick "Absolute Size" on the curve the radii do not change, but I have no idea if this is the way it should work or not. :(

As for using the Corner Tool on a shape, I think (as has often been requested) that tool needs an equivalent of a 'non-absolute' size option -- IOW, radius as a percent.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It looks like it’s doing the wrong thing to me but, as you say, maybe it’s supposed to work like that for some reason I’m not aware of. The “uncheck Absolute Size” technique works – thanks for that tip – but I don’t think I would like to have to go through a whole document doing that.
One example problem I see is if someone has artwork for a game that uses 72dpi graphics but wants to use the same graphics for printed documentation. Changing from 72dpi to 300dpi has the same sort of effect but in the other direction and all of the corners get much smaller.
Maybe someone from the Affinity team will see this next week and give us some sage advice.
I’ll add my vote to the suggestion that the Corner Tool would benefit from having a non-absolute size setting.

• 5 months later...

Im new to vectors and new to Affinity (but I really like it much more than AI)

I had sort of the same problem: when resizing objects with round corners (from the corner tool).

Using the corner tool I found a button: 'bake corners'

pressing that all rounded corners are made into vector node's and the problem solved.

(but the corners are not editable anymore)

I run into the same scaling problems with strokes. There you have to check the box saying 'scale with object' and also with effects (also check the little box saying 'scale with object'

I'm looking in affinity designer to set all this standard to 'scale with object' and uncheck if you want... anyone any idea?