You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am working a scale where I need to use a font size less than 8pt. I resized the font down to 4.2pt hoping I could set a 'Style' under 'Format' but when I then type in some new text it defaults to 8pt. Is this correct? It would be a very useful feature to be able to set a smaller point size 'Style'.

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I am working a scale where I need to use a font size less than 8pt. I resized the font down to 4.2pt hoping I could set a 'Style' under 'Format' but when I then type in some new text it defaults to 8pt. Is this correct? It would be a very useful feature to be able to set a smaller point size 'Style'.

I admit that we can't go lower than 8pt, but I think, and I am an user not a developer, that's because less than 8 would be unreadable?

:rolleyes:

<lendrius>
<equipment> MacBook Pro 15" Quad-Intel 8GB Samsung PRO SSD & 22" Asus LCD from old Linux Machine </equipment>
<education> Degree in Science of Communication </education>
<employ> WebDesigner & Front End Developer </employ>
<passion> Bass Player </passion>
</lendrius>

Hi,

The reason I needed type to be so small was because I was drawing to a small scale - an engineering drawing in fact.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi gh Andrew,

I'm glad to be of service and thanks for deciding to include smaller font sizes.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi,

You don't even need to change them to curves. Just resize as you would any object by moving one of the corner handles. My problem was that once I resized smaller I can't repeat it by entering the new size in the Pt size box because it defaults to 8pt.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Using the current Beta (1.0.21458), it depends on which text tool you're using. 

The Art Text tool will default to 12pt Arial no matter what was used prior. Again, this is how it seems to work on my set-up and with the latest beta.

The Frame Text tool will use the previous point size (and yes it works for 4.2pt) and font face.

So if you need to use the Art Text tool, what I tried is to just create a dummy-text object then option-drag it to make a copy and edit the text to be what it should be. It may add a step, but is quicker than making all the adjustments you require.

The Frame Text tool seems to recall its last setting across restarts and the use of other tools. That's been my experience as I've been working a bit on text in AD a bit lately.

It would be good if the Art Text tool would have the same kind of "recall" as the Frame Text tool, imho.

hth

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

The Art Text tool will default to 12pt Arial no matter what was used prior. Again, this is how it seems to work on my set-up and with the latest beta.

How do you mean? If I start a new document, select the Art Text tool, select 10pt Helvetica, then click, I get 10pt Helvetica. If I type some text, select the text, change it to 14pt, then click on the page again, the new text is 14pt. The newly created text uses whatever formatting I applied most recently to Art Text.

Be aware that we have separate default settings for Art Text and Frame Text. Perhaps you are setting the formatting for Frame Text, then switching to the Art Text tool? They have separate defaults because, for example, Frame Text typically will have paragraph spacing which would be unwanted for Art Text.

@Dave Harris: it's a fine point, but the Art Text tool retention of settings seems to work differently depending on when the font/size/etc is changed. I'm using the most current (as of 8 January 15) beta build.

Here's what I tried first:

• select the Art Text tool and change the font to Times (for example) and then type the text. It's in Times. Everything's good.
  • Choose a shape tool, draw a shape.
  • Re-select the Art Text tool, click on the canvas, type some text and the font is Arial.

However after reading your posting I tried this:

• Select the Art Text Tool, type in the text, select all and then change the font to Times
  • Choose a shape tool, draw a shape.
  • Re-select the Art Text tool, click  on the canvas, type some text and the font for the Art Text is Times.

In my previous post I was working with the Art Text tool as in the first group of bullet steps. It seems to me that for the Art Text tool to "retain" previous settings, one must first use the default font and type in the text and then change it. Changing the font attributes before typing in the text will create text that has the new attributes, but the next time the Art Text tool is used, it's back to Arial and the other default settings. That's the source of my inaccurate description earlier. 

I really don't know if this behavior is a bug or intended. Not my call, really. I just naturally gravitate to finding work-arounds when I can't initially do what I want to do. It just never occurred to me that I would have to type in text in order for the changes to be retained.

However, this is drifting from the intent of the OP. My apologies. Drift happens. :D

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?