cdaerr

PDF import corrupts text

Version: Photo 1.5.1 (test)

Criticality: High

Opening a PDF in Affinity Photo causes text with too much space between letters (See attached Screenshot).

Different configuration of Replace of missing Fonts in import dialog does not make any difference. When I Import a PDF, wich was generated on the same PC (other application, e.g. Libre Office Writer), it works correctly. In this case there are no missing Fonts.

It looks like Affnity Photo does not use Fonts embedded to the PDF.

Replacement by a other installed Font or the same Font causes corrupt text.

post-58067-0-72526100-1493583145_thumb.jpg

post-58067-0-24649500-1493583156_thumb.jpg

hi cdaerr

You are correct in that we do not use embedded fonts at this point but i believe it is down as something to be included in future version. Currently we rely on having the correct fonts being installed for the text to be displayed as expected. The large spaces that are being added is a known issue so hopefully this will improved in the future as other PDF improvements come in

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hello Chris,

using embedded fonts in the future would be nice. But the main problem for me is that, using the installed fonts only works correct, when the PDF is generated on the same computer.

Is there any workaround to correct the to large spaces?

Thanks

For me only fast solution is use Serif PagePlus X9, because has better rendering PDF engine. In Affinity Designer 1.5.2 I have the same problem as you. Other way it will be save file in afdesigner file, manualy retype letters, but for me is not comfort solution.

As an aside to this issue, I have this problem when exporting figures/plots from R then opening in Designer. It occurs when using the regular R pdf export function pdf(..), but if I export from R as a Cairo pdf, cairo_pdf()  then it opens correctly in Affinity with the correct spacing.

This is still happening in 2019 - Affinity Designer v1.6.5.135

Opening in the Affinity Publisher Beta, exporting to PDF, then importing in Designer again - gives better results, but there is still some text placement issues even after all that. 

The only work around so far is to only use Publisher Beta for any importing of externally generated documents. I cannot trust Affinity Designer to modify any documents I haven't created myself. 

Capture.PNG

On 3/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, DanielV said:

This is still happening in 2019 - Affinity Designer v1.6.5.135

Opening in the Affinity Publisher Beta, exporting to PDF, then importing in Designer again - gives better results, but there is still some text placement issues even after all that. 

The only work around so far is to only use Publisher Beta for any importing of externally generated documents. I cannot trust Affinity Designer to modify any documents I haven't created myself. 

This might have something to do with the way the original document was created. For some reason text is imported as 180 degree rotated and has a negative size value, which Serif products don't seem to handle well. 

Unfortunately I don't have any control over how the documents are generated, but it seems that once I save and reopen the files in Designer or Publisher, all the text is broken. 

Not sure if this is helpful information, but thought I should share anyway. 

affinity-problem.PNG